Saving Prepackaged Salad Mix

When I buy a pre-mixed salad bag. I cut the top of the bag with a scissors about 1 inch from the top of the bag all the way across and I use that strip I just cut out to tie and reseal the bag. WORKS GREAT!

By Joe from Inver Grove Heights, MN

Hey Joe, thanks for the tip -- can't wait to try it!

This is one of those ideas that's so simple and obvious once someone tells you about it. Good idea.

I cut a little slit in one end of the strip I cut off (kind of like a button hole). Then, I thread the other end through the slit and pull. It seals the bag tight, and is easy to reopen. I also do that with frozen vegetable bags when I don't use the whole bag.

Jantoo took the words right out of my mouth!!

What a neat idea! I am going to try that on my frozen veggie bags. For about a year I have been putting my bagged lettuce into the bag I save from cereal boxes. After I pour it in I squeeze out the air and shut with a twist tie. This keeps the lettuce and alot of other food items alot fresher longer. Supposedly it is something they treat the bag with, but I don't know if that is true or not...just know it works great for fruits and veggies.

What a great frugal idea! Also I push out all the air I can with my hands and right before I close it up, I put the open end in my mouth and suck out any additional air. I think it helps keep the salad fresh a little longer.

We have a vacuum sealer I buy regular lettuce and pre

packed,I wash it spin dry,an seal in vacuum bag just enough to make it tight.I can reseal bag as many times as I need to,saves a lot of money no wasted food.

Storing Salad
Storing Salad
Food and Recipes StorageAugust 15, 2007
Chex Mix
Homemade Chex Mix Recipes
Bowl of salsa with ingredients in background.
Dry Salsa Mix Recipes
Sports fans drinking at a sports bar.
How Much Should You Tip at a Sports Bar?
A bottle of homemade salad dressing.
Making Italian Salad Dressing Mix
🎉
🎄