Storing Salad

Category Helpful Hints
Salad, especially greens, can be a challenge to store for any length of time. This is a guide about storing salad.

When I buy a pre-mixed salad bag. I cut the top of the bag with a scissors about 1 inch from the top of the bag all the way across and I use that strip I just cut out to tie and reseal the bag. WORKS GREAT!

By Joe from Inver Grove Heights, MN

Just like the saying, "one bad apple spoils a whole bunch", one bad lettuce leaf can quickly ruin an entire container of salad. I find this especially true with the baby greens. So, after about a week when I get a salad, I actually go through the entire container and begin to weed out the leaves that are beginning to wilt or are starting to go bad. After that point, it is good to look through it about a half a week later. This way, you can have your salads last at least a week and a half longer than the supposed toss-out date as written on the packages.

By thintieguy from Los Angeles, CA