Saving Prepackaged Salad Mix

When I buy a pre-mixed salad bag. I cut the top of the bag with a scissors about 1 inch from the top of the bag all the way across and I use that strip I just cut out to tie and reseal the bag. WORKS GREAT!

By Joe from Inver Grove Heights, MN

By Kathy (Guest Post)

Hey Joe, thanks for the tip -- can't wait to try it!

This is one of those ideas that's so simple and obvious once someone tells you about it. Good idea.

I cut a little slit in one end of the strip I cut off (kind of like a button hole). Then, I thread the other end through the slit and pull. It seals the bag tight, and is easy to reopen. I also do that with frozen vegetable bags when I don't use the whole bag.

Jantoo took the words right out of my mouth!!

What a neat idea! I am going to try that on my frozen veggie bags. For about a year I have been putting my bagged lettuce into the bag I save from cereal boxes. After I pour it in I squeeze out the air and shut with a twist tie.

This keeps the lettuce and alot of other food items alot fresher longer. Supposedly it is something they treat the bag with, but I don't know if that is true or not...just know it works great for fruits and veggies.

What a great frugal idea! Also I push out all the air I can with my hands and right before I close it up, I put the open end in my mouth and suck out any additional air. I think it helps keep the salad fresh a little longer.

We have a vacuum sealer I buy regular lettuce and pre
packed,I wash it spin dry,an seal in vacuum bag just enough to make it tight.I can reseal bag as many times as I need to,saves a lot of money no wasted food.

Food and Recipes StorageAugust 15, 2007
🌻
😎
😷
👔
🎆
🐛