Storing Bagged Salad Mixes

Category Helpful Hints
Storing Bagged Salad Mixes
Once you have opened the bag, you want to keep the salad as fresh as possible. This guide is about storing bagged salad mixes.

Prewashed salad fixings are great, except they go bad so quickly due to excess moisture in the bag. To extend your salad greens' life, open the bag once you get home, place a paper towel inside and then close with a bag clip. The paper towel absorbs the extra moisture. This gives salad about an extra week.

Bagged salads are a real convenience, but are expensive and spoil easily. When they go on sale, I will buy one or two bags at most. I then put a paper towel in the bag to absorb excess moisture. I change the towel when it is damp. This keeps the salad fresh an extra day or two, and gives me the chance to use it up, rather than throw it out.

To keep the bagged salads fresher longer after opening, put a folded up paper towel on top of the salad. Then fold the bag closed. Put a closure on it (such as spring type clothes pin) then store in zipper type baggie.

By Rosemary from Ludlow Falls, OH

I've been buying bagged salad for years. I never really had problem for several + days. Just in the last few weeks, the salad is wet and soggy well before expire date? Is crisper tray too cold?

By Becky A. from Camp Hill, PA