Rice and Raisin Breakfast Bowl

When I was a little girl the lady that lived with us, to watch over my brother and I, used to make this for us for breakfast and it was so yummy! Once in your bowl, you can add a little bit of milk if you want. We liked this so much more than cold cereal or oatmeal and the raisins give it a natural sweet flavor!

• 1 cup rice
  • 1/2 cup raisins
  • milk, if desired

Directions:

Cook rice according to package instructions but stir in the raisins before cooking. It's that simple

Source: I suppose you could call her a Nanny but my brother and I considered her a mom. Her name was Edith May Moore and I still think of her often even though it's been forty two years since we've seen her.

By Deeli from Richland, WA

In E. Tx, this is a dessert. No wonder y'all like it :o) Your talking about your Nanny reminded me; for a few months when I was learning to talk and visiting my aunt and uncle at the Guantanamo Naval Base, in Cuba, she hired a young woman to entertain me a few hours a day. Later she apologized that she thought she was so busy doing her officer-wife's duties and writing a column for the local newspaper.

For me, it was an experience of a lifetime; I came home speaking Spanish, learned so much and retain a love for the Cuban people. My grandmother wanted us youngsters to call her Nanny. She lived with us or we lived with her, take yer pick. She took care of us while Mom worked, taught me how to make southern foods and enriched our lives. Such good memories.

Thank you so very much for sharing your personal story, gator10tx, and posting that southeners consider this dish a dessert :-) Maybe that's why my brother and I liked it so much ;-)

Food and Recipes Recipes BreakfastOctober 9, 2009
Scoop of brown rice. Freezing brown rice.
Freezing Brown Rice
Raisin Bread
Raisin Bread Recipes
Side of Spanish rice.
Making Spanish Rice in the Rice Cooker
A plate of cooked brown rice.
Cooking Brown Rice in a Rice Cooker
🎄
🍂