Recipe For Cheese Filled Corn Dogs

Can someone please tell me how to make cheese dogs. I guess that's what you call it. It has cheese in it instead of a wiener. I don't like wieners but I love the corn dog that has cheese in them instead. I have eaten them out at our mall and love them. How do you make them with cheese in the center and the cornmeal outside and deep fry them? Can anyone help me? Thanks and God Bless.

Kay from Clyde, TX

Best Answer

I have not had these, but would suppose you could use any corndog batter and just substitute a block of your favorite cheese for the hot dogs. I found this recipe by just putting corndog recipe into my search engine. Think I will give them a try.

Hope this helps.

1 cup milk

2 medium eggs

1/4 cup oil

2 tablespoons sugar

1 teaspoon salt

2 teaspoons baking powder

1 1/3 cups corn meal

2/3 cup flour

1 to 1-1/2 pounds hot dogs

flour for dusting (about 1/2 cup)

Hot Fat for Deep Frying

Popscicle sticks

In a large bowl combine the milk, eggs, oil, sugar and salt. Mix it very well. Sprinkle in the baking powder, corn meal and flour. Stir it all up to make a slightly thick batter.

Take your hot dogs and dry them off on paper towels. Dust the hot dogs with flour, coating them completely. The cornmeal batter won't stick to the hot dogs unless they are coated in flour. The batter just slides right off of the wieners naturally slick outsides. Shove popscicle sticks into the flour coated hot dogs. Set the hot dogs aside.

While all of this is going on, it's a good idea to get your hot fat to heating up. You want the temperature to be about 375°. Allow the fat to preheat so it is almost smoking by the time you are ready to add the corn dogs.

Now, to coat the floured hot dogs with batter you have two choices. You can swirl the hot dogs in the bowl of batter until they are coated, and then drop them into the hot fat. If this is a little difficult I know of an easier way. Scoop some of your corn meal batter into a narrow jar or cup which is as tall as your hot dogs are long. Fill the jar or cup about 3/4 of the way full. Dip your hot dog into the batter while you hold onto the stick. Swirl the hot dog to coat it evenly. Be careful or the batter will overflow. Raise the wiener above the cup and let any excess batter drip off. Quickly place the battered dog into the hot fat. The fat will bubble up and cook the outside of the batter, making the corndogs the exact same shape as the ones you buy at the store.

Only fry a few corn dogs at a time. If the corn dogs crowd each other they don't fry very well. I only fry 2 or 3 at a time. Turn the corn dogs when the bottom side is well browned. Use tongs to remove the cooked corn dogs from the fat. Allow them to drain on paper towels. Repeat the process, coating and frying a few at a time, until all of the corn dogs are cooked. Refill the narrow jar or cup with batter from your bowl as necessary. Continue until all the hot dogs are coated or until you no longer have enough batter to coat the hot dogs efficiently.

If you don't want to waste any unused batter, it can be dropped by small spoonfuls into the hot fat, and fried until brown. Serve these along side the corn dogs.

If desired, you can make small corn dogs by cutting hot dogs into thirds, or quarters. Poke a toothpick up into the end of the hot dogs. Coat and fry them as described above. These are nice for fancy days, and for kids parties. Provide plenty of ketchup and mustard for dipping.

This recipe makes about 12 to 14 corn dogs.

Best Answer

I found this on the internet on some message board doing a google search:

1 block of any hard cheese

1/2 cup cornmeal

1/2 cup all purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon tabasco

1 medium egg

1/2 cup finely grated cheese

Place cheese in freezer for one half hour. Remove cheese and cut into 1" thick strips just before cooking. Mix batter; add corn meal and flour, salt, tabasco, egg and add buttermilk until at a consistency slightly thinner than toothpaste.

Dip cheese sticks into batter (use toothpicks to handle them) carefully place in a pan of hot oil making sure that oil covers good, do not put in to many at once or they will stick together. When browned evenly remove and immediately roll in grated cheese.

Best Answer

Another one I found: Cheese Filled Sticks

Cut the cheese into 1/2" thick by 3" sticks and put a bamboo stick into it. Then Freeze the sticks. You have to do this so the batter has a chance to cook before the cheese melts.

1c flour

1/2c corn meal

1 tsp baking powder

1/2tsp salt

Add in:

1 egg

1 cup water.

Let sit for about two minutes then add some more water until it is about the thickness of pancake batter.

You also need: corn starch

Roll the frozen sticks in the corn starch then shake off any extra. Dip into the batter and deep fry at 350 F. When the sticks start to ooze cheese, they're done.

I use to make these with cream cheese mixed with a little pureed chipotle pepper in it. I made them into balls about 3/4" inch in diameter, but no sticks.

It took a bit of searching but I found these recipes online. Hope it helps.,161,154187-245201,00.html,191,153161-232193,00.html

Food and Recipes Recipes Copycat Fast FoodSeptember 19, 2008
Growing Indian Corn
Growing Indian Corn
Blue Cheese and Gruyere Mac and Cheese
Blue Cheese and Gruyere Mac and Cheese
Ricotta cheese on fig leaves on white plate, with cheese knife.
Freezing Ricotta Cheese
A stack of corn tortillas.
Homemade Corn Tortilla Recipes