Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Make Your Own Ottoman

I would like to make an upholstered x base ottoman. Does anyone know where I can find a site to learn how to do that?

Danielle from Miami, FL

By

By (Guest Post)06/11/2008

www.upholsterystudio.com

By Susan Sanders-Kinzel [9]08/07/2005

I want to make my own ottoman, something simple with 4 legs, a piece of wood and a really thick piece of foam with a washable slip cover. Doesn't this sound too simple? What am i missing? Does anyone have any advice?

jmk02

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Make Your Own Ottoman

Does anyone have simple plans for building the frame for an ottoman, especially a round storage one, which I can upholster?

Lea

RE: Make Your Own Ottoman

I have an ottoman that was made by someone else and seems very simple. It was made with a large square block of Styrofoam, where to get this I'm not sure but I might start looking at a furniture store to see if they might have some from packing. It has a piece of foam rubber on the top and has a cover with a zipper around to bottom so it can be taken off an washed. I really love it because it is so light weight and moves easily out of the way for cleaning. (03/17/2005)

By Carol

RE: Make Your Own Ottoman

I made one from an old, almost square coffee table. I cut the legs down, glued on a thick piece of foam (about 6"), and then made a slip cover for it. I wanted it to be sturdy enough to sit on as well as put my feet up on it. I also use it as a table. It works great! (03/17/2005)

By Laura

RE: Make Your Own Ottoman

I made a footstool once by using 4 large coffee cans. You can hot glue them together where they meet, cover with foam and then material. It makes a unique shaped footstool that everyone will notice. Cheap, too. (03/18/2005)

By

Ottoman PLUS storage

I saw an ottoman once made with an old drawer. For the lid, a piece of plywood was cut to size covered with foam, wrapped in fabric and attached with hinges. 4 legs were screwed to the bottom. Easy and nice for storage. (03/19/2005)

By Melisa

RE: Make Your Own Ottoman

I was just looking to do the same thing. I found 2 web sites, if you haven't seen these yet, here they are: http://www.upholster.com/howto/make-ottoman.html and http://www.hgtv.com do a search for ottoman, one of the results is making an ottoman. (05/18/2005)

By Emily

RE: Make Your Own Ottoman

Found a great site on DIY: http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/cr_storage/article/0,2025,DIY_13779_2270564,00.html You could easily use wheels and cover it if you didn't want it painted. (12/07/2006)

By sasadaire

RE: Make Your Own Ottoman

Cover an old giant popcorn can, works great. (09/24/2007)

By Jen Deare

RE: Make Your Own Ottoman

I made a cool ottoman from an ugly one. Ikea sells a cheap ottoman for around $15. Very basic box with an open bottom, legs, and a pillow top with a canvas cover. Awful. I flipped it over, added trim around the former legs, added wheels to the bottom (former top) and used a couple of pieces of plywood coupled with a leather-wrapped pillow (the original one that came from Ikea) for a dual-purpose top. Then I painted it all black and now have a cool storage ottoman with a soft top that can be flipped over for a flat surface. (09/25/2007)

By Lucus