Vitamin C To Keep Fruit Fresh

Fruit fresh made easy! Fruit-Fresh is so expensive and there is so little in the can. The main ingredient is vitamin C or ascorbic acid. I got to thinking and bought some chewable vitamin C tablets, crushed them in water, and mixed into my fruit salad. Works great and keeps the fruit from browning and tastes fine. Works wonderfully!

By karla from Eugene, OR

I have used Vit C tablets for a long time but I crush them,add to a small amount of water and this is what I put freshly sliced fruits into before canning, freezing or dehydrating. Prevents darkening, you get a bit more of Vit C and its practically free compared to a container of the Fruit Fresh. Great idea.

Depending on what's in your fruit salad or what your using the fruit for, I use orange juice in fruit salad and dip in a lemon juice/water mix for dehydrating or canning. A quick dip doesn't add lemon taste.

My friend and neighbor, Bill, told me the vitamin stores carry ascorbic acid powder. He sprinkles it into things for added vitamin C, and to keep apples from turning brown when making pies. (He bakes his own pies sometimes.) This would save the time and trouble of crushing the pills.

Apple slices.
Keeping Cut Fruit from Browning
Food and Recipes Food Tips SubstitutionsFebruary 3, 2011
Closeup of Gray Squirrel
Keeping Squirrels Out of Fruit Trees
Cute Guinea Pig
Giving Vitamin Supplements to Guinea Pigs
strawberries and blueberries
Tips for Buying Fresh Fruit
Homemade Vitamin Water
Homemade Vitamin Water Recipes