Keeping Cut Fruit from Browning

Category Fruit
Cutting fruit in advance saves time but also can result in unattractive, oxidized brown fruit. This is a guide about keeping cut fruit from browning.

Fruit fresh made easy! Fruit-Fresh is so expensive and there is so little in the can. The main ingredient is vitamin C or ascorbic acid. I got to thinking and bought some chewable vitamin C tablets, crushed them in water, and mixed into my fruit salad. Works great and keeps the fruit from browning and tastes fine. Works wonderfully!

By karla from Eugene, OR

Squeeze lemon juice on fruit salad and it will not brown quickly. Some grapefruit juice will work as well and will taste even better (if you like the taste of grapefruits).

By ThriftyFun

This is a guide about prevent apples slices from turning brown. When you need to store cut apples for later use, there are a few ways to keep them looking fresh.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

When I cut fresh fruit for a salad it turns Brown. How can I keep this from happening?

Thanks for your help,
Missy from Las Vegas

Answers

Sprinkle it w/ lemon juice.

If you don't want the tartness of lemon juice, any lemon-lime soda will work - even diet.

Sprinkle a little lemon juice (fresh or bottled) on the fruit; then stir up well to distribute the juice. This will even keep banana from turning.

Does anyone know how to keep avocado from turning without using citrus? I like to take it to work but it's brown before I can eat it. Citrus turns it to mush plus I don't want it to taste like that. Thanks.

Lemons are great to keep apples and other fruits from turning brown but the avacado comes with it's own preservative. Just peel & half the avacado, throw out the skin but put the pit to the side.Prepare your avacado in a bowl by mashing, then add your mayo, seasoning, etc. When you've gotten it to your liking put the pit in the center of the bowl. Your guacamole should stay fresh and green!

If you really don`t care for the lemon juice flavor there is a product called "Fruit Fresh". You`ll find it at the grocery store with all the canning/preserving products. It works just great!

When making guacamole put the avocado seed back in the dish after you've finished preparing it. This will keep it a pretty green color.

This isn't about fruit, but just a side note for future reference. From what I hear, to keep peeled potatoes from getting brown you put them in a bowl of water and sprinkle a little sugar over top. Haven't tried it personally but I heard that it works from several people

can anyone tell me WHY the seed keeps it from turning black? I am a believer of using the seed... LOL but today I was asked by a co-worker WHY it works? I said hmmmmmmmm let me google that! LOL and here I am!

Editor's Note: It works because there are enzymes in the seed that help keep avocados from darkening.

How do Bananas turn brown in less than a week?And will putting bananas in the refrigerator make them turn brown faster?

I am holding a bridal shower, I am having a chocolate fountain, I would like to prepare the cutting of apples, bananas, etc. before hand. Is there any way to keep the fresh fruit from turning brown before I can serve it?

how do you keep bananas from going brown
after you freeze them""

What if i don't have lemon or lime juice... What do i use to keep my sliced apples from turning brown?

Orange juice also works to keep fruit from turning brown.

When I make a banana pie the bananas turn brown after one day, how can I prevent this?

Thanks
loufavi AT bellsouth.net

I've read this tip in a recipe book the other day. I must try it out first though. They say that you must pop an apple, banana or avocado quickly in boiling water before peeling it. The skin of the banana and avo might turn black, but the fruit will not be affected. After this, the fruit will not turn brown once peeled. I don't know - it sounds too good to be true. I will try it and let you know.

A few years ago I bought a product named "Tater White" which was used mostly by restaurants. It worked well on any fruits or vegetable and took only a small amount. One package lasted me for years, but I can't find it anymore. Does anyone know where I can find it?

I have heard to put lemon juice or salt water on it.

If you don't want fruit to brown put them in water with a vitamin c tablet. It does work. I used it for a science experiment.

I heard lemon juice works

How do you keep fresh peaches from turning brown on desserts?

Esoper from Franklinton, NC

When slicing bananas to put in a gelatin salad, how do I keep them from turning dark?

By Sandi L.