Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Finishing Stairs With Something Other Than Carpet

We are removing the carpet on our stairway, but we do not want to replace it with more carpet. We wish to do something different.

Pansy from Waxahachie, Texas

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Jimmy Whales03/03/2010

When we removed the carpet from our stairs, it really looked awful. We also found it too noisy, so we refinished the stairs with new wood, and then added carpet down the middle of the stairs so the wood would still show on both sides.

We ended up using http://www.builddirect.com for our replacement wood, and it looks great now.

By Suntydt [75]11/13/2009

Consider a non-slip rubber runner. Cut it and glue or staple it to each step. If you aren't worried about noise you can use vinyl. If the steps are out side or on a porch you can use the palstic grass looking type carpet.

By Angela (Guest Post)02/28/2006

I had broke one of the baluster's on my stairs and want to know how to get that fixed at a good price.

By Marnita (Guest Post)01/11/2006

We removed the carpeting from our stairs because the carpet was looking so worn and nasty. After removing the carpeting, my husband installed new oak stair treads and we stained them to match our existing wood flooring. It looks great; we wished we had done it sooner. Another idea is to install a sisal or jute runner. Since it is a runner; obviously, it will not cover each step on either side; therefore, paint the steps on each side of the runner before the installation. Sisal or jute are wonderful high traffic products to use in place of carpeting. They take a bunch of wear and tear; nearly indestructible.

By Linda Howe01/11/2006

I'd love to get rid of the carpet on my stairs but was told the carpet reduces the noise, something to consider as our bedroom shares the stairwall.

Here is a website that tells how to redo the stairs.
http://www.hardwoodinstaller.com/hardwoodinstaller/stairs.htm
So much prettier than carpeted stairs!

Love & Prayers,
Linda

By Cheryl from Missouri (Guest Post)01/10/2006

Trying painting the stairs and then stencilling a pretty design on the tops of each step.