If You Can't Recycle It, Freecycle It

I am very dedicated to recycling everything that I possibly can. It is now just my husband and myself, however, we have two extra large recycling bins and one small bin. There are times when all three are completely full. So as you can see, I take recycling very seriously. Take the time to sort your papers and plastic at least and keep them out of landfills.

I have recently joined several "freecycle" groups near my hometown. These groups give you the opportunity to offer items from your home that you gift to someone who wants or needs it. It can be anything as long as it is not truly trash! We have gifted a vacuum cleaner, tote bags, kitchen plaques, craft items, and two like new gym equipment pieces, just to name a few. There is absolutely no money involved! It must be free. It is very easy to join a group near your hometown too. Go to freecycle.org and find a group near you.

It is more blessed to give than to receive!

Think about it.

Source: freecycle.org

By Lee from Jesup, GA

We have been freecycle members for a few years now and Love it! It is a great feeling to help someone out and keep stuff out of the landfill. We have given and recieved furniture, coupons for local stores, landscaping supplies, and most recently a practically new hiking pack for my son who is in boy scouts. I hope more people join thanks to your timely tip.

www.freecycle.org you can join a yahoo group in your town, state, or country. you can give away or get almost anything on there.

Freecycle is awesome! :D A friend online got me involved with it and now I have two option for giving away stuff: Freecycle and Goodwill. Either way it's getting used.

Craigslist.org has local forums for most larger cities in the US and you can list giveaways or for-sale items for free.

In smaller areas not served by Freecycle or Craigslist, you can almost always post your items on the bulletin board at the local grocery store.

And, of course, there's always the time-honored method of putting items on the curb with a "Free, Please Take" sign. (The "Free" sign is important, as you don't want potential "shoppers" getting hassled for trashpicking.)