Finding Free Packing Peanuts

Finding free packing peanuts may take a bit of searching. Freecycle is one option, also some retailers discard those received in their merchandise and may give you some for free. This is a guide about finding free packing peanuts.

I live in Fridley, Minnesota. I'm looking for a lil help. I need some small package supplies like peanuts. I have looked everywhere. They very expensive to buy. I'm just looking for a cheaper way to get some. If anyone knows where, I would appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Answers

Best Answer

Ask on facebook, craigslist and freecycle

Best Answer

i do not know how large Fridey is but maybe you have some of these places close by. Try calling these first and be sure to pick up when scheduled.
health food/vitamin stores, Pier One, candle stores, breakable/collectable items stores, optical/eye glass shops, also lots of supplies at furniture stores (ask inside).
When in a pinch I have bundled clean store bags (several bunched together inside one or more bags) and placed these around an item.
Always keep a free ad on freecycle:

www.freecycle.org/

I am looking for free unwanted packing peanuts.
Thank you.

Answers

Put want ads on Craigslist and Freecycle

Our nextdoor.com website always has somone asking or offering packing supplies. If you have one, it's free to sign up. You can also place a wanted notice on Facebook marketplace for free. Just remember safely first. Never meet someone alone, and always meet at a public location!

craigslist, freecycle, or nextdoor.com

also you could just ask friends ofyours who order stuff online a lot - i get all my packing materials that way

All good suggestions but you might also try calling some of your nearby furniture stores as they receive a lot of stuff packed with different Styrofoam types and might let you know when they receive or unpack shipments.

My daughter also gets a supply from a local florist as they receive a lot of glass items that use packing peanuts for shipping.

You may have to keep a running ad on Craigslist and Freecycle if you want more in the future.

We sell on Etsy and need packing peanuts badly! How do I find companies in my area who want to unload them?

Answers

You might do better collecting on Freecycle and Craigslist. You could also ask friends who work to collect for you.

I am not a fan of the packing peanuts, but if you have your heart set on them, talk to all of the businesses in your neighborhood and see if they can message you when they get in large shipments or maybe they will make arrangements for you to stop by weekly to pick up the materials.

Hallmark stores, dollar stores, vitamin shops, and even the big box stores that sell glassware may be willing to work with you.

I have agreements with friends who work for similar places we meet monthly for me to get my recycled supplies, which in my case, are the air pocket pillows, the brown meshy wraps or cream/brown packing paper.

If my regular suppliers are out, I have been known to go out on trash night and pick up boxes filled with packing supplies from the curb (I go to the more expensive houses in my area and always find TONS!)

IF you go this route, SAFETY FIRST!!! BE CAREFUL TO CHECK FOR CLEANLINESS AS THESE CAN HARBOR SILVERFISH AND OTHER YUCKIES YOU DON'T WANT IN YOUR CAR OR HOUSE. Leave them sit out in a dry place (like if you have a covered patio) overnight and in the morning, inspect carefully before using.

Our NEXTDOOR website always has people offering free boxes and packing materials....so that can be helpful also.

Hope this helps!

I have always had good luck with finding shipping materials at my local furniture stores.
Just contact them and ask about picking any supplies up before they "trash" them.
You can also check at their unloading area to see what they have already trashed as all of this material is usually very clean and easy to pick up.
Larger pieces of foam works well when peanuts are unavailable.

Another shop to ask is a nearby florist, especially one that sells other items as well as fresh flowers.