Recycling Small Appliances

I am very dedicated to recycling everything that I possibly can. It is now just my husband and myself, however, we have two extra large recycling bins and one small bin. There are times when all three are completely full. So as you can see, I take recycling very seriously. Take the time to sort your papers and plastic at least and keep them out of landfills.

I have recently joined several "freecycle" groups near my hometown. These groups give you the opportunity to offer items from your home that you gift to someone who wants or needs it. It can be anything as long as it is not truly trash! We have gifted a vacuum cleaner, tote bags, kitchen plaques, craft items, and two like new gym equipment pieces, just to name a few. There is absolutely no money involved! It must be free. It is very easy to join a group near your hometown too. Go to freecycle.org and find a group near you.

It is more blessed to give than to receive!

Think about it.

Source: freecycle.org

By Lee from Jesup, GA

Read More or Comment...

We have been freecycle members for a few years now and Love it! It is a great feeling to help someone out and keep stuff out of the landfill.

We have given and recieved furniture, coupons for local stores, landscaping supplies, and most recently a practically new hiking pack for my son who is in boy scouts. I hope more people join thanks to your timely tip.

By Nadia (Guest Post)

www.freecycle.org you can join a yahoo group in your town, state, or country. you can give away or get almost anything on there.

Freecycle is awesome! :D A friend online got me involved with it and now I have two option for giving away stuff: Freecycle and Goodwill. Either way it's getting used.

By Amanda (Guest Post)

Craigslist.org has local forums for most larger cities in the US and you can list giveaways or for-sale items for free.

In smaller areas not served by Freecycle or Craigslist, you can almost always post your items on the bulletin board at the local grocery store.

And, of course, there's always the time-honored method of putting items on the curb with a "Free, Please Take" sign. (The "Free" sign is important, as you don't want potential "shoppers" getting hassled for trashpicking.)

I have a toaster oven which is broken. I do not want to throw it in with our trash. I'm looking for a recycling center or some other avenue to send the oven to.

By Cris from PA

Answers

Does your town have recycling for other materials like glass, plastic and newspaper? Call and ask them about recycling your toaster oven.

From another state's recycling site* I found this on toaster ovens:

Recycle
Metal parts can be recycled. Look in the Yellow Pages, under "Scrap Metal" for a recycler near you. Most transfer stations also accept scrap metal. It might be work a try to call and ask.

If you think it might be fixable at all you might look up 'small applicance repair' and see if there is someone to donate it for fixing who might give it to someone in need.

At the very least you could probably remove the crumb tray or rack(s) and make something out of them or repurpose.

Not familiar with your area but you might poke around here;
www.dep.state.pa.us/.../recycle.htm

* Souce:
www.co.ramsey.mn.us/.../a_to_z_disposal_guide_t.htm

Go to Freecyclegroups.com and see if there is a freecycle group in your area. Their idea is to keep usable items out of landfills and someone will want the toaster oven. You can offer or ask for items. Everything is free, money is not allowed.

Viewing This Page
Better Living Green Living Recycling OtherMarch 12, 2013
😎
📓
🐛
🌻
😷
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Recycling-Small-Appliances.html