Browsing: Cooking When the Power Goes Out

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Cooking When the Power Goes Out

Inclement weather often results in power outages. One inconvenience of the loss of power is that cooking may be impossible. This is a guide about cooking when the power goes out.

power outage kitchen
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

August 10, 2006 Flag

I am moving into a home thats total electric which means my stove is electric. Any advice on what I could use as an alternative to the stove for cooking if the electric is out during inclement weather?

Onesummer from GA

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I live in southern Arizona and every darned time we have a thunderstorm,our electric goes out..I have a Propane cook stove and a propane heater for the living room .we have lost our electric for 4 days one time in the wintertime when it wea 17 degrees and really cold.I usually keep bottled water in the garage and a 35 gal.plastic barrel filled to flush the toilets.I can cook and stay warm when it's cold and we bought a large Generator[diesel] some years ago from Harbor Freight and this past time when the electric was out-we were the only ones keeping cool in the 120 degree temperature from a small window air conditioner in the room used for tv viewing.were I you-I'd have a propane stove[ small apt.size would do the job just fine] in the garage for cooking and a wood heater in the living room for those days when the electric isn't working.be prepared and you won't get caught with no way to cook or stay warm in the winter.

Gee, all these suggestions and no one mentioned take-out??

I know I am a little behind in e-mail, and sure you have receveived a few solutions, but there is always the option to HAVE CHARCOAL & LIGHTER on hand!

In a pinch -- even in winter, a barbecue can be used to cook! (I emphasize winter, b/c many outages occur during winter.)

If you cookout a lot, I'm sure you have an open bag in your garage or storage area. If you do not, make sure you have a full bag, in addition to the started one. That way, in case of say, a 3-day outage, (God forbid) you would have enough charcoal to last you.

PLUS... remember -- the very people who don't keep a supply of charcoal on hand will be the ones at the store, buying the last dozen or so bags off the shelf! Why have to fight 'em for one (or more)???

Yer NEW Hillbilly friend in TN...

Ross

PROUD father of an American Soldier

I always keep something to make sandwiches with in case the lights go out & a gas cooker out side to fry fish with. It can also be used when lights are out, good luck.

Read More Answers...

May 16, 2012 Flag

Save your valuable cooking fuel for winter or emergencies. I saw Polish sausage marked down today to $1 each (from over $3.50) so got one and can cooked it with a pack of beef wieners with a few drops of Worcestershire sauce.

Can Cooking on the Deadwood Stove

Home and Garden Emergency Power OutageMay 9, 2013
Coconuts
Cooking With Coconut Oil
Cooking bacon in microwave.
Cooking Bacon in the Microwave
Shower Power Cleaner
Buying Shower Power Cleaner
flashlight in the dark
Emergency Lighting for Power Outages
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 21, 2016 at 6:21:48 PM on 10.0.2.241 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.