Replacing Liquid in a Barometer

What is the colored liquid in a glass weather barometer (the one with a clear glass bulb with a tiny spout on it) and how do I replace it?

By nekocat from OR

Start with reading this:

Depends on the barometer you are wanting to possibly replace the liquid but if it's filled with mercury you want to be very,very careful because mercury is lethal even touching! Personally, I would just purchase a new barometer and recycle the current one.

Our barometer holds colored water. I just take some distilled water and add some concentrated food coloring. I mix it together thoroughly and pour into the barometer.

Thank you, Hill, that sounds like the same type of barometer. No, Deeli, it isn't a mercury based thermometer, I don't mess with those. it's a blown glass long and narrow spouted "pitcher" with an opening to fill it.

Glad to know you found an answer, nekocat, and that yours doesn't contain mercury :-)

Home and Garden Repair OtherSeptember 14, 2009
liquid laundry soap
Homemade Liquid Laundry Detergent Recipes
Replacing a Dishwasher
Replacing a Dishwasher
Replacing a Bathroom Faucet, Plumber Replacing Bathroom Faucet
Replacing a Bathroom Faucet