Making Pea Soup from Braising Liquid

The next time you braise meat, don't throw the leftover braising liquid away. Use the braising liquid to make this pea soup recipe instead. It is full of flavor and easy to make.

I've made corned beef several times since St. Patrick's Day as I've become quite a fan of the Instant Pot method (link below). It reminded me that every year, I am always left with a large amount of delicious braising liquid from all the meat and veggies. I decided to try to make a soup from it, being careful to make sure I balance out the saltiness by adding extra water, to taste. This is a great thrifty use of the braising liquid and boosting it with some peas, veggies, and water. Turned out delicious!

Total Time: 1 hour

Yield: 4-6 servings

Link: Instant Pot Corned Beef and Vegetables

• 1 medium onion, peeled & chopped
  • 1 medium carrot, peeled & chopped
  • 1 medium potato, peeled & chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, peeled & chopped
  • 2 cups braising liquid
  • 2-3 cups water
  • 1 large bay leaf (or 2 small)
  • 1/2 tsp dried thyme
  • 2 cans green peas, drained
  • cream and chopped parsley for serving

1. Add a bit of oil to a large pot over medium heat. Add onions and carrots. Cook, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes.
  2. Advertisement

3. Add potatoes and garlic. Cook a few more minutes.
  4. Add braising liquid, water, bay leaf and thyme. Turn heat up to high and bring to a boil, then switch to low and simmer for 20 minutes.
  5. Add peas to pot and cook for 5 minutes. Turn off heat and allow to sit for 5 minutes.
  6. Transfer soup to blender or use a hand emersion blender to puree until very smooth.
  7. Advertisement

8. Return to pot over low heat and stir in pepper, if desired. Serve in bowls topped with some cream and chopped parsley.

👒
👔
🌻
🐛
😷

Generated 2020-04-26 18:08:19 in 1 secs. ⛅️️ ⚡️