When Do Girls Start Shaving?

What is the average age for a girl to start shaving?

Kittyclaw from Hendersonville, TN

I don't know what the "average" age is, but my daughter is 9 and just came to me and asked. First I asked her if she was talking about her underarms, her legs or both. She told me just her underarms. I had actually been wondering when she was going to ask. She's been an early bloomer, started getting underarm hair when she was 7 and pubic hair last year when she was 8.

My little sister is nine and she started shaving her legs last week. It seems young to me (I'm 27, I don't remember when I started. 13, maybe?) but the hair was rubbing on her sheets and clothes and bothering her. She seems to have a lot of hair. She's pretty fuzzy. I hate to say it, but even on a very young girl, the amount of hair she had looked a little strange. I think when it starts to look odd that they have the amount of hair that they have is when they should start shaving, especially if they are aware of how it looks. If they start asking about it because they're just curious and a little excited about the prospect of growing up, that's one thing. I think I started "asking" when I was 7 or 8, too. But when they start to worry about it and they really ask to start shaving, give them that confidence boost and let them. There's no reason to let a girl go around being self-concious because of a little thing like leg hair. It's hard enough at that age. There's nothing wrong with shaving; it doesn't even really mean that they're "growing up" on you. All shaving means is good grooming.

Great comments ... I've hesitated to bring the subject up with my nearly 12 year old, because she seems oblivious. After reading all these comments, I think I'll mention it to her, give her options (ie. shaving or not!) and leave it with her to decide. I know my husband would like her to wait until she's 25, but I think she needs options a little sooner than that! :)

When Should Girls Start Shaving
When Should Girls Start Shaving?
Health & Beauty Beauty Hair Tips ShavingJune 1, 2006
Daughters Horse Riding Daddy
Raising Girls
A pink razor.
Shaving Your Bikini Area
A woman shaving her legs.
Tips for Shaving Your Legs
Homemade Shave Cream
Homemade Shaving Cream Recipes
🎉
🎄