Weigh Bagged Produce in the Store

When buying bagged produce in a store, weigh it first. Sometimes you can get more than the label states. For instance, if you buy 5 pounds of potatoes, it must be a minimum of 5 pounds but often it will weigh more. By law, it must weigh at least what the label states.

Source: Local newspaper

By mkymlp from NE PA

I do this with produce sold by the package all the time, head lettuce and celery especially. Great tip, mkymlp!

The wholesale clubs are a big problem because there are no scales available. I worked a numer of years at one of the wholesale cubs and when an item in a bag went bad it was taken out and trashed and the bag placed back on the rack. I NEVER saw an instance where the item was replaced. So you're not always getting the weight you think you are....regardless of the law. I learned a lesson and I never buy produce unless I can weigh it.

Consumer Advice Shopping Grocery ShoppingJuly 28, 2009
dog drinking
Weigh Down Pet Water Bowl
Fabric Book Page Weight
Making a Fabric Book Page Weight
A girl holding a basket full of vegetables.
Sharing Garden Produce
Shredded cabbage
Uses for Bagged Shredded Cabbage