Can You Drink the Water Used to Boil Eggs?

Is it safe to drink the water that you have boiled eggs in? If not, why not?

By Barbara from Cape Town

I cannot imagine that it is unsafe, any bacteria should have been killed, and I don't think there is anything in the shells of untreated eggs that could be rendered out and unhealthy; just not tasty. I always add salt or vinegar to the water, so that would make it no good to drink, but if you use plain water, I suspect it is fine. Probably has a good dose of calcium in it.

Sorry , but why would you want to drink it? Use it to water plants, or something else. Drink it? Gross.

The only thing would be this, there are chemicals and other things in water. When the water is boiled the chemicals become concentrated and might not be healthy. I am curious as to why you would want to drink it. If you just don't want to waste it, water your house plants with it.

Drink it for the calcium

Boiling water does not make it unsafe. You use boiling water for so many things you cook. But, it might not taste good. But I don't think it would harm you. I do use salt before boiling eggs myself.

It absolutely is safe to drink the water.

The water will be very high in calcium which is not only great for us, but plants as well. Personally I'm fairly shocked and amused by the comments left here, chemicals in the water being unsafe after boiling it?

If this is gross consider this, food producers will add ground up egg shellsin to food to boost the calcium content, they just need to label it as calcium!

Eggs shells are mostly calcium and personally I find it more gross and disturbing that people waste resources like this and are perfectly fine with not knowing what they are actually eating or better yet paying for a calcium supplement.

Adding vinegar or salt to water will soften the shell, if you don't mind drinking vinegar it is very beneficial to cleansing the body, apple cider vinegar is tasty and nutritious. If you do use a lot of salt, more than a couple teaspoons, I wouldn't recommend it. And do not use on plants if you use vinegar or salt.

I wanted to know if it was safe to drink 'egg water' so that I can make a cup of tea with the boiling water after the eggs are cooked - I would do this for my elevenses break.

Reading the comments, I feel it is safe to drink as long as there are no additives to the water like salt or vinegar or anything else - unless its a teabag maybe - I will try that next time, then I will probably have lovely brown egg shells! - and stewed tea - lol. With a little thought, this could save a little energy.

good idea!

I don't want to spoil people's ideas for re-using boiled-egg water. I agree that non-salt and/or vinegar water can be good for plants, but... I was told about 50 years ago that drinking egg water gives you warts! This could well just be an old wives tale, but I'd be interested to know if anyone else has heard this?

FYI people, you drink it because you don't have a kettle and can't be bothered boiling another pot of water for your tea

I boil my eggs in soup when I make ramen or udon. It saves me from using two pots. I'm still alive. You will probably survive

Food and Recipes Food Tips Food Safety AdviceMarch 7, 2011
Scrambled eggs are too watery.
Watery Scrambled Eggs
Cooking eggs for a large group.
Cooking Scrambled Eggs for a Large Group
Reusing Plastic Easter Eggs
Reusing Plastic Easter Eggs
Homemade Vitamin Water
Homemade Vitamin Water Recipes
🎉
🎄