Senior Discount Day at the Goodwill

I desperately needed some new sweat pants but can't afford them new so I stopped at my local Goodwill Store after a doctor's appointment this morning and scoped out the racks. I ended up finding three really, really nice 'almost new' pairs in the colors I was hoping for and all three only came to $8.99 total!

I was so happy and even happier when the woman at the counter asked about my age and guess what? Because I am 56 I received a senior citizen discount of 20% which reduced the price to $7.19 total. That's only about $2.40 per pair.

Lucky me to have stopped there on a Monday because that happens to be my local Goodwill Store Senior Discount Day. So, if you're a senior citizen and don't mind shopping Goodwill, it's well worth calling your local Goodwill to see if they have Senior Discount Day(s). :-)

By Deeli from Richland, WA

Showing: Comments Sort

By Peggy 63 173 Flag

A funny story. I was visiting family in WV and going to stop and pickup sister in law for a day of shopping at all the thrift stores. Brother called and asked me to stop at the convenience store and pick up a six pack of beer.

Went in found what I needed and went to the register and the young man asked for my ID. I chuckled and said oh yes will gladly show it. He laughed and said well maam you sure look good for your age. I left beaming, saying to myself, oh yes, I still got it.

Picked up all the girls and headed shopping. We found a mega Goodwill store. My gift to the girls was 50 dollars and told them to go crazy. Went to the register with 3 heaping buggies. The young girl behind the counter said oh, you will get the senior citizens discount. I cackled in laughter,, was so funny. Only in WV could I get carded in the morning and a senior discount in the evening.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

thr522587 Flag

Oh, msburny, I love your story!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By ChloeA 10 134 Flag

The Goodwill stores where I live have a web site where they publish a monthly calendar listing all the sales. Most days some category of merchandise is on sale, sometimes with pieces as cheap as one dollar. For people over 50, every Sunday is half-price day. The calendar is also available at the cash registers in the store.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

thr522587 Flag

Thank you for the information, ChloeA! My local Goodwill doesn't have a website but I will drop by the store to check out their sale calendar :-) I didn't even know they had a Senior Day until the past few days and I am appreciative you shared that there might be other save money days, too ;-)

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Anna 17 62 Flag

56 is a senior? I'd be insulted

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

thr522587 Flag

It's a lot more insulting to be disabled and barely able to afford to live than to be given the gift of a Senior Discount for being age 56, Thursday_Next, ;-)

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

thr522587 Flag

Thank you for your post of inspiration, JustPlainJo, and Congratulations for receiving a Community Employment Independence award from Goodwill!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Debbie Dzurilla 28 1,125 Flag

I'm 57 and sure hate to think by some people's standards, I'm a senior but then again if it gets me discounts, I'm all for it! I have young children ages 11 and 9 so probably I'm a little sensitive on that senior citizen deal. It all depends on where you go too so you almost have to ask but usually I don't think to because I'm always thinking it's for people older than me! :-)

Deeli, thanks for mentioning it tho. I usually don't shop Goodwill because I think their prices are too high but I will definitely see when they have the senior discount day in my town.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Saber Alexander 9 75 Flag

The Goodwill's here also have a certain color tag each day. All clothing with that color tag is 99 cents each. I get a lot of good stuff that way!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Debbie Dzurilla 28 1,125 Flag

I wanted to add that perhaps it varies Goodwill to Goodwill. Mine here in my hometown gives 15% off to Seniors on Wed; however you must be 60 to qualify. I called on Wed before I was going over just to see and was disappointed that I was too young. Since I had donations I went anyway and also went in and looked around. I do feel their prices are high but found my daughter a pr of great just like new shorts and a matching top for $6 total....Justice brand which I'd never buy new...too expensive. Anyway, if you are wanting to get a Sr discount at Goodwill, I'd suggest calling them to see what day, and how old you must be. If you don't qualify then perhaps take someone with you who does!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Meari 8 113 Flag

Goodwill also has Dollar Days or 123 days where most clothing is $1 or $1.23 each. Designer clothing is 1/2 price. Can't beat prices like that!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Thrift Store Clothes
Thrift Store Shopping Tips
Better Living Frugal Living ShoppingMarch 18, 2010
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Seniors Luncheon
Seniors' Luncheon Ideas
Thrift Store Clothes
Thrift Store Shopping Tips
Senior Woman eating lunch after shopping
Saving Money as a Senior Citizen
Discount Grocery Store
Shopping at Discount Grocery Stores
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 4:43:22 PM on 10.0.2.162 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings