I have food stored in my basement, but I have mold in my basement that keeps coming back. The food is stored in a stand alone pantry with doors that don't close very well. Should I be worried about mold spores getting into my food, even if the food is unopened? (ie. flour, sugar, baking powder, etc.) Thanks for your answers.
By Aeowyn from OH
I am not really sure about this one, but if it were me I would store those sort of items in large well sealed plastic storage bins just to be safe because mold spores do spread.
I think I'd be concerned about the mold. I believe I've read that the mold spores can get into foods packaged in paper or cardboard containers. The spores are very, very tiny, and this could be unpleasant to dangerous to consume. I'd try to store foods like flour, sugar in a drier area or look into Lock & Lock containers. I've recently started using them and they're great - waterproof, airtight, and they come in all sizes. There's some great info here on the TF site, which is where I found out about them. Hope this helps.
I would only store canned or jarred goods in your basement.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!