PlumbingHome

Have To Hold Down The Handle To Flush

Category Plumbing

I installed a new flapper on my Commode, the old one was leaking out water, and now In order to flush it you have to hold down the handle until all water is out of the bowl. Why is this? did I forget something that keeps the flapper up while the water goes into the bowl? Thanks for anyone that knows anything about this stuff!

DL

Perhaps you need to adjust the chain? You might need to screw the bulb up a bit but it sounds like the chain is the problem.

How do I adjust the Chain? what is the right adjustment, what is the bulb sorry not to familar with all of this thanks

DL

I was given this tip by my Rotor Rooter Man.

Since they started making the new low flo toilets, it seemd that there isnt enough water to get everything down. If you look at the flapper, you will find a small hole in it. This hole allows air bubbles to go through the flapper and makes it go down faster, therefore only letting a small amount of water out until it starts to refill the tank. In the old ones it would take awhile for the flap to go down because of the resistance it caused...ta..da...more water swooshing down ! He said to use hot glue and plug up that little hole. And you should get much better waterflow! I havent tried it but it seems that it would work!

Sandy

I'll try that but it's going down as soon as i let go off the handle, what keeps the flaper up as the watter runs down the drain? Thanks for everyones help

Any one have any other ideas!