Yellow Spots on White T-shirts

I seem to run into a problem with white shirts. For some reason, even with shirts I have never worn, if the shirt is white, after a few days these yellowish brown spots will appear on the shirt. Most of the time it's just small spots, but there have been times where the spot is much bigger, covering the large areas of the shirt. These spots also don't seem to come out in the wash. I have tried a variety of detergents and things. This only seems to happen to cotton t-shirts though. What is this and how can i get it out?!

xjussx from Parkersburg, WV

Best Answer

I use either WISK or TIDE detergent for my clothes. Occasionally, I get yellow or brown tiny spots on white clothes only. Here's what I do: Using hot water I use the normal amount of detergent, add about 1/2 of BORAX & 1 cup of bleach. Magic, the spots disappear. Good luck & let me know how you make out. Here's my e-mail address: thestaceys2 AT

I had this happening to shirts stored only in one drawer of the dresser. There was something coming out of the wood that stained my shirts. I lined the drawer to stop the problem.

I have the same problem. It's with all of my clothes though, not just white T-shirts. It doesn't matter if they are hanging in my closet or folded in my dresser. They just appear and nothing, not even straight bleach, takes them out. If you find anything that works, would you please share it with me. LynetteOD856 @aol. com

Sounds familiar. Does anybody in your house smoke?

That could be a cause.

It's a mystery to us all about the yellow stains.. I have a beautiful linen table cloth that belonged to my mom and it was put away in a cedar chest and still got the stains on it. If you find the answer i would like to know as well.

May 24, 2011 Flag

Why do white t-shirts get yellow spots on them? A lot of my friends have this problem, they just appear. How do you get rid of them?

By Kathy J

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Use plain club soda on the spots before washing. Let it set on the stains for a little while. Stain should come right out in the wash.

I hang my whites out in the sunshine when they yellow. Sometimes for a few days. The sun will draw the yellow out.

White T-Shirt
Cleaning Yellow Stains on White T-Shirts
Home and Garden Cleaning Clothing StainsAugust 27, 2007
Cleaning Old Dresses
Removing Yellow Creases from Stored Dresses
Homemade Softscrub Cleaner Recipe, Photo of cleaning bucket and supplies.
Cleaning Yellow Bleach Stains in a Plastic Bathtub
Yellow cake with chocolate frosting.
Homemade Yellow Cake Recipes
laminate samples
Cloudy White Spots on Laminate Countertop