Gentle Facial Scrub

I need an easy to make at home facial scrub. It must be something that won't irritate my skin.

By Mirr

Best Answer

Hi Mirr,

I too have very sensitive skin, so have always had to be careful

with everything I use on it. If you need a scrub for exfoliation, try using a cleaning or moisture cream that you know doesn't irritate your skin and add a spoonful of it to a clean jar, then add a couple of tsp of sugar to it. Sugar (as a rule) is the safest to use on the face, and the least likely to dry out your skin. I would stay away from using any type of scrub with salt in it.

A good choice might be something like Johnson's Baby Lotion. I happen to like the lavender fragrance of the night-time version best, but the pink one works just as well.

Hope this helps you. All the best,

Julia in Boca Raton, FL

Best Answer

1/2 cup brown sugar

5 drops lavender essential oil

1/8 cup almond oil

1/4 cup organic hypoallergenic lotion

Mix and scrub face with this. It is my personal recipe that I use for myself. I am very fair skinned and extremely sensitive to chemicals.

You can find the ingredients at Super Supplements, Fred Meyer (Kroger) Nutrition Center, or any Health Food Type Store.

Best Answer

Baking soda with a little water is very gentle on the face and body, and very inexpensive.

Best Answer

The easiest thing, and you don't even have to mix anything up, is to ex-foliate while you're in the shower or bathtub. Wet your face first and then shampoo and/or wash your body. By the time you've finished your skin will have softened. Then all you have to do is gently scrub your face with your fingertips. I start on my forehead with a circular motion and keep moving down all areas of my face (including hairline) and neck.

You will feel the little skin granules building up. Don't rinse until you're done with the entire face and neck because those little granules (I think) help with the ex-foliation. BE GENTLE because even though you're using your fingertips you could end up ex-foliating too much (I did that just once - LOL)! After you've rinsed, wash your face with your favorite soap or cleanser :-)

Anyway, if you really want to still use an actual recipe just mix together 1 Tbsp granulated sugar and 3 Tbsp honey ;-)

Best Answer

I use a little pad that I purchased from Sally's Beauty Supply. They're made for exfoliating. There is 2 in a package and were very inexpensive. I just put a little of my liquid/mild facial cleaner on the pad and rub my face. Works great and lasts a long time. I never buy any type of facial or body scrubs. Walmart sells similar ones over by the cotton balls but I found those to be too rough. Change the subject, but mixing sugar or salt with a little oil of some type is one of the best things I've found for getting rid of dead skin from my feet. Messy but works wonders.

April 30, 2010 Flag

For a gentle, effective facial scrub, I combine a hypo-allergenic mild skin lotion with a half teaspoon of cornmeal. Add a bit of water, and gently massage your face. Rinse off and you are left with a healthy glow.

By Mrs Dee from Canada

Answers:

Gentle Facial Scrub

I have been making my own exfoliating scrub for years with the two most inexpensive products on the market, oatmeal and cornmeal.

Method: In small food processor, add 1 cup of oatmeal. Grind till almost a powder. Add 1 heaping tablespoon of cornmeal, and process again for 30 seconds. Pour into clean jar with tight lid (I use a canning jar), and store in your bathroom cabinet. Make small batches at a time to ensure the oat and corn meal are fresh.

Use: For convenience and easy clean up, I use mixture while taking a shower. Pour tablespoon of scrub into small plastic cup (to avoid accident with glass jar). Add small amount of hot water and let sit. Wash face as usual. Pour scrub into hands, mix into paste, and, in gentle circular motion, apply to face and neck (don't forget lips). Rinse thoroughly and apply moisturizer.

According to friends, who have used my scrub, their feedback is: sensitive skin - 2-3 times/week, normal/oily skin - may be used everyday, mature skin - 2-4 times/week.

I have learned from friends in the dermatology field to avoid exfoliating products containing crushed fruit pits, such as peaches, apricots, prunes, etc. as they scratch the skin surface.

I would love to hear your feedback on this scrub. (02/12/2009)

By LuannD

Gentle Facial Scrub

Green Alpha Hydroxy
Sophia Uliano
Author "Gorgeously Green"
Oprah guest

Alpha hydroxy works by exfoliating the skin; that is, causing the surface skin cells to slough off, revealing newer, less damaged skin cells beneath.

1/4 cup each of lemon juice, apple juice, grape juice, and cane sugar

Blend all ingredients in a glass jar, making sure sugar has dissolved. Apply to your face with a cotton ball, and leave on for 10 minutes before rinsing off. The mixture will keep for up to four days in the refrigerator.

(03/24/2009)

By mkymlp

November 24, 2008 Flag

Can anyone recommend a gentle homemade facial scrub for a 55 year old lady with a non-problematic skin? There are so many suggestions in here, I have no idea which is right.

Thanks,
Ya'ara

Answers:

Gentle Facial Scrub

A mixture of sugar and olive oil is very nice. Olive oil is good for skin, not bad. I use it exclusively instead of lotion. (06/29/2006)

By Nicole

Gentle Facial Scrub

Put a small amount of baking soda in your hand and add enough water to make a thin paste. You can also substitute olive oil or any oil you like for the water.

Ronda (06/29/2006)

By austin95mom

Gentle Facial Scrub

As for the baking soda, try this on a small patch of skin first. I am allergic to baking soda and if I put it all over my face, my entire face would itch and burn and start to peel. I love the olive oil though. I heard that olive oil is the reason Sophia Loren has such youthful looking skin for her age. (06/29/2006)

By SusannL

Gentle Facial Scrub

Its not homemade but I use microdere abrasion from www.aloetherapy. It's so cheap and lasts for ages. I'm way past being a senior citizen, but and still takeing good care of my skin and looking good. (06/30/2006)

By jmouse13

Gentle Facial Scrub

I'm 53, and I use plain baking soda. It's gentle and cleans very well.
(07/01/2006)

By lighthouselady

Gentle Facial Scrub

Mashed strawberries are great.

Another is honey and bananas mashed together. It really hydrates the skin. My mom is 54 and I used to make her all sorts of this stuff. Now that I'm in my 30's, I have to be careful, too! (07/02/2006)

By Kahvella

Gentle Facial Scrub

Well, I am 62 so I can give you a really old method. It was the thing to use when I was very, very young. Oatmeal! There were all kinds of oatmeal soaps on the market then. I would think making a soupy solution of water and oatmeal would do it.

Also you could try sugar water. That is "in" now. There are all types of sugar scrubs on the market and very expensive! Why pay for a fragrance you don't need and fancy packaging? (07/09/2006)

By MollieB55

Gentle Facial Scrub

Just simply mix honey and sugar together (and if you like, add a small amount of milk and/or a tiny drop of extra virgin olive oil). This works like a dream, leaving skin touchable soft, smooth and gorgeous. (09/02/2007)

By Anonymous101

Gentle Facial Scrub

Use natural sugar, mixed with lemon juice. Scrub face, rinse with warm water. it's very good and gives your skin a 'warm glow'. (06/18/2008)

Gentle Facial Scrub

Mix natural sugar with lemon juice. Scrub face, then rinse with warm water. (06/18/2008)

By dee

Health & Beauty Beauty Beauty Recipes FaceApril 30, 2010
Little Girl using Kleenex Facial Tissues
Saving Money on Facial Tissues
woman with nice skin
Making and Storing Homemade Facial Peels
Woman with facial mask and cukes on eyes.
Homemade Facial Cleanser Recipes
Homemade powered scrub brush.
Making a Powered Scrub Brush
🎉
🎄