Sugar Cookie Recipe Using Self Rising Flour

About 25 years ago I had a sugar cookie recipe that was given to me by a worker for the extension service for the county. I don't remember what the recipe called for but I do know you rolled them in balls and used self rising flour. The flavor was like none I have ever tasted. Once you started eating them you could not quit. Guess what? I have lost my old time recipe. Help!

Karen from Clemmons, NC

Does this sound like it?

1 cup butter, margarine*, or butter-flavor shortening

1 egg

1 teaspoon orange extract, vanilla, or your choice

2 cups white sugar

2 1/2 cups self-rising flour

DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

Beat all ingredients except self-rising flour with an electric mixer until fluffy. Add self-rising flour and mix well.

Roll dough into balls, coat in sugar, if desired, and flatten on ungreased cookie sheet with the bottom of a glass dipped in sugar. Bake for 5 to 8 minutes until done.

Makes about four and half dozen.

* if using margarine, make sure to check the label and use one that has about 100 calories in a tablespoon. The "spreads", tubs, and some sticks have water whipped in, which lowers the calorie count, and is great for eating, but not for baking!

I had bookmarked this one earlier from ThriftyFun:

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf86325745.tip.html

I have a little cookbook I got off of ebay. No sugar cookie recipe but one that tells you to roll the dough in little balls, here you go:

BUTTER BALLS

3/4 cup shortening (part butter or margarine)

1 cup brown sugar

1 egg

1 teaspoon vanilla

3 cups sifted s/rising flour

1/4 cup white sugar

1/2 cup chopped nuts

Cream shortening and sugar together. add well-beaten egg and vanilla. add flour. Chill dough until firm. Shape into balls the size of marbles. mix white sugar and nuts. Roll balls in the mixture. Place 2 inches apart on greased cookie sheet and bake in moderately hot oven (400F) for about ten minutes. cookies flatten out during baking. makes about 7 dozen.

I would bet you could just bake them plain for a sugar type cookie or just roll in the white sugar to coat them before baking.

Hope this helps!

go to "google" Type in "sugar cookies self rising flour". You will get a ton of recipes.

Thank you to all who helped with the sugar cookie recipe. I think I found it. I know it doesn't use confectioner's sugar, but thanks anyway. I think the post by Jilson is it? I hope. Thanks again, Karen

Did the cookies have a slight nutmeg taste? Were the soft and light? If so I have that recipe, I will look it up for you if you think this one is it. 2 TBL of milk is also in the recipe.

Debbie

coutant5 AT bellsouth.net

Sugar Cookie Recipes, A batch of sugar dusted star shaped cookies.
Sugar Cookie Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes Baking & Desserts Cookies SugarJuly 15, 2008
Self Rising Flour
Baking With Self Rising Flour
Taekwondo Christmas Cookies
Taekwondo Christmas Cookies
Self Rising Flour
Making Self Rising Flour
Storing Sugar
Storing Sugar
🎉
🎄