Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Buying a Generic Brand to Save Money

Shop around for a generic everyone likes. We discovered the Food City brand Dr. Wow in our area tasted just like Dr. Pepper (just a bit more carbonated). Dr. Pepper sells at $4.29 for a 12 pack of cans while the Dr. Wow sells for $4.89 for a 24 can pack. That is double the quantity for a fraction of the cost.

Every store now a days is toting a generic brand: Food Lion, Kroger, Ingles, Safeway, Food City, etc. You just have to find one that tastes good to everyone, that is at a good price. Of course buying in bulk is usually cheaper anyway. I just never expected this soda to be so much cheaper and taste good to boot.

By Suntydt from Tazewell, TN

Feedback Forum

Feedback about this article is posted here. Want to contribute? Click above to post feedback.

By Nancy [6]08/31/2011

Coupons are a pain - *unless you come across one that's for a brand you already use or want to try.* These "coupon queens" or whatever they're called spend a lot of money on newspapers and a lot of time putting it all together. The end result of what they pay on a grocery trip is very deceiving after all the time and all the money they spent just to get to that point.

So, I say stick with generics and you'll be OK. Actually at Demoulas Market Basket where I shop, I've found that most of the store are *far* better than the brand names!

P.S. I hate those coupons where you have to buy 2 or more of the product to get the "cents off!"

By HAPPYINHARNED [13]08/29/2011

I think Big K (Kroger) drinks are made by Coca Cola. I love the sav a lot drinks, but not Bubba Cola, I do love the Mt. Holler from sav a lot.

By Lilac [18]08/23/2011

No matter how cheap you buy soda, even if it is a penny a can you are wasting your money and are not frugal. There is no food value in it and in many cases it is harmful to you.

Post Feedback

Add your voice to the conversation. Click here to share feedback.