Planting Pine Seeds

I have some pine cones that I dried out to get the seeds. I believe they are white pine seeds. How do I store them? When should I plant them, and how to I plant them?

Kristine from Simpsonville, SC

Answers

Once the seeds are collected from the cone they should be planted. The longer they sit dry in the house the lower germination you will have. Mix the seeds with coarse sand. Place in a pot then put and inch of sand over the seeds. Store outdoors during the fall and winter in the coldest place possible like a north facing position. There the seeds will be subject to alternate freezing and thawing. Doubtful if they will need water during the winter months, but in the spring keep sand moist. Once they begin to grow plant them in the ground giving them some shade so the sun will not burn them.

Home and Garden Gardening SeedsOctober 31, 2007
Pine needle bunches tied with fabric.
Crafts Using Pine Needles
Pine Cones
Getting Seeds From Pine Cones
A pile of shelled pine nuts
Recipes Using Pine Nuts
Removing Pine Tar from Baseball Pants. Baseball Player with Bat on White Background
Removing Pine Tar from Baseball Pants
🎉
🎄