ConversionsFood Tips

Butter Conversion for Europe

As I live in the U.K our weighing measurements are different. Could anyone tell me what a stick of butter is or weighs? Many thanks.

By Helen

Usually a stick of butter is .5 cups and .25 pounds.

Google result: http://www.reci  rsion_charts.htm

One stick of butter equals 1/2 cup, or 4 ounces liquid. When you buy it here in the USA sticks usually have teaspoon and cup measurements labeled on it. Hope this helps!

Hello Helen,

In North America butter is sold in packs of 454 grams. This pack is divided in 4 units, these are the so-called sticks.

One stick of butter weighs 114 grams or i.o.w. 125 ml. Happy baking! Roxanne

Hi Helen, One stick of butter equals 4ozs (1/4lb) Hope this helps. Jan UK

Here's a link for all kinds of conversions: http://www.onlineconversion.com/

All purpose flour is PLAIN flour, powdered or confectioners sugar is icing sugar, baking soda is bicarbonate of soda not baking powder, canning means bottling, you get used to U.S. terms after a while although i personally prefer imperial or metric as "cups" don't seem so precise. and Americans frost their cakes, they don't ice them. hope this helps

I read US recipes with 1 stick of butter, could anyone tell me what quantity this is, eg. ounces, grams, tablespoon, 1/2 cup? Also whilst here many of the recipes say a cup or so of flour, but do not say plain or self rising. Could someone please explain which is usually used. I am waiting to make many of the recipes and this is holding me up from doing so.
Many thanks in advance to anyone letting me know.

By Lorraine from Perth, Western Australia

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Well, when you buy a pound of butter it comes in 4 wrapped sticks so each stick will weight a quarter pound or 4 ounces.

Lorraine,here is a helpful conversion chart I found for you:

http://www.conv  convert/cooking.

I have friends in the UK that I mailed U.S.measuring spoons and cups that turned out to be very helpful to.

Hope this helps.

Here in the UK, I have never found butter to buy in the pound wrapped in 4 sticks, it sounds good. but i have never seen it. yes the measuring cups from keeper were very helpful. If it helps on the flour I seem to see when I read recipes from USA, that it just says flour but read all other ingredients. If there's backing powder or backing soda in there. Then the flour needs to be self raising. Hope this helps a little.

A stick of butter is 8 tablespoons. When an American recipe calls for "flour", it means regular, all-purpose flour. If it needs bread flour, self-rising flour, or other such as whole-wheat (whole meal) flour, it will specify. "Sugar" means plain white, granulated sugar; "Powdered" sugar is the same as confectioner's sugar or XXX sugar, as my nanny used to say. Brown sugar here comes in light and dark versions, the darker has more molasses remaining in it.

Thanks to everyone who has replied with information.

A stick of butter is 4 ounces. This is equal to 1/2 cup. A 1/2 cup is equal to 8 Tablespoons. A 1/2 cup is also equal to 24 teaspoons. About the flour, in most recipes, unless otherwise specified, this means All-Purpose Flour. Usually you can tell if the recipe calls for all-purpose flour by seeing if the recipe also calls for baking soda or baking powder. If it is a recipe that calls for self-rising, you usually don't have to add baking soda or baking powder because self=rising already contains theses ingredients, thus, why it is called Self-Rising. I hope this helps and Happy cooking, enjoy! Sharon Stone Gibson, Costa Rica

1 stick = 8 Tablespoons and 1/2 cup

Unless otherwise specified, use all purpose flour.

Happy Cooking. :-)

If you are going to use self rising flour there is no difference in the measurement. One cup is still one cup.

Can you tell me how much a stick of butter is in grams or ounces? I see many American recipes that I can't follow, because I don't know the quantity of margarine or butter to use. In Europe, we use either grams or imperial (British) weight. Either will be fine.

Thanks,
Cettina from Malta, Europe

Answers:

Butter Conversion for Europe

A stick of butter is a quarter pound or 4 ounces. Hope that helps. (05/26/2007)

By cjgeo

Butter Conversion for Europe

We typically buy butter in one pound (or 16 ounce) boxes which contain 4 "sticks". Each "stick" weighs 4 ounces. Each stick is the equivalent of 1/2 cup of butter. If I tried to convert this to grams for you I'd probably make a mistake, so I'm hoping you can take it from here. Good Luck! (05/26/2007)

By Grandma Margie