Reusing Butter Wrappers

Category Baking
Don't toss those butter wrappers, they generally have a bit of butter still on them. This is a guide about reusing butter wrappers.

Whenever I am baking, I take the margarine or butter wrapper, fold it, and put into a plastic Ziploc bag then into my freezer. That way I always have buttered paper on hand to grease my pans with.

By Deborah from Kamloops, BC

I always reuse the paper that my butter or margarine is wrapped in to butter any pans I will use in my baking recipes. You can even fold them in half and leave them in the refridge after you take the margarine out and if you don't need them for that recipe.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 4

If you use stick butter, don't bother wiping out the bit of butter left on the paper. Just fold it in 4 and stash it in your freezer. The next time you're cooking and it calls for you to grease your pan take out one of the folded butter papers unfold it and rub the remaining butter in your pan to be greased. It's the perfect amount every time!

By Randi from Del Rey, CA

I make a lot of pancakes at once, to save time in the mornings. I usually cut squares of wax paper to put in between them. While I was unwrapping butter, to use on pancakes, it came to me. Instead of cutting squares of wax paper, to use in between, I should use the wax butter wrappers. I save the butter wrappers in a bag in the freezer, for use on cake pans and such anyway. Now, I use them for seperating frozen pancakes too. I leave the paper on the pancakes when I put them in the microwave, so that the butter melts on them and when I pull them out, I throw away the paper. No waste!

If you bake yeast breads and dinner rolls, often the recipe will call for a final brush of butter across the surface after taking them from the oven. I save my stick butter wrappers for not only coating baking pans for casseroles, but also for running over the finished, hot yeast bread or rolls.

I lay the wrapper on top of the freshly baked product to melt the butter for just a second or two and then begin wiping it across the surface. If the baked product is really hot, I lay a hot pad on top of the wrapper and continue (using a very light touch). By the time I am done, the wrapper is devoid of butter, I haven't ruined a stick of butter or messed up a pastry brush, and the rolls or bread look so yummy!

By Ronsan from southwest MO

I save the paper wraps around the individual margarine or butter sticks in a plastic baggie and store it by my butter dish in the refrigerator. When I need to butter a pan or cookie sheet, I just wipe it with the wrap! Easy, neat and efficient.

I have found that I can use my butter/margarine wrappers to grease a baking pan or skillet or butter a warm loaf of bread fresh out of the oven.

My husband teases me because I am so frugal, and he got a kick out of this one.

I save my empty butter stick wrappers in a zip lock bag in the freezer. They usually have just enough to grease a cake pan with. After they are used, I move them to another ziplock baggie marked with a large x and refreeze to keep them critter free. They make great fire starters for the fireplace or lighting the trash.

Cheap, yep, but it works!

By mom-from-missouri from NW Missouri

Answers:

Save Your Butter Wrappers

Very clever. I had not thought of the fire starter idea. Thanks. (03/27/2010)

By Janet

Save Your Butter Wrappers

Great re-use, good for you! (03/27/2010)

By tahlula

Save Your Butter Wrappers

Good idea - sounds like something I used to do, except we don't have a fireplace. My hubby used to tease me about it too, but he loved my cakes, lol! (04/01/2010)

By Lelia Jo Cordell

Save Your Butter Wrappers

I also do that.I save all the butter and margarine wrappings and use to grease the baking trays. (04/02/2010)

By Dorothy

Save the wrappers from your bar butter or margarine after you have used up the bar and store them in a baggie in the freezer. Then, when you're baking just grab a couple of them and use them to grease your baking pan and toss them after. If you use tub butter or margarine, wipe the tub out with a paper towel before discarding and freeze the paper towel to use later. This gets the pan greased exactly where you want it, doesn't cost anything, and saves you the mess to clean up when the spray gets all over the place.

By Sheilamay from Bronx, NY

Save your wrappers for stick butter. The next time you need to grease a pan before baking, open it up and spread it butter side down over the whole dish. These wrappers can easily be stored in a ziploc baggie in the door of the fridge.

By Sandi

Answers:

Saving Money on Butter

I put butter wrappers in the fridge and take them out when I need to grease a pan.

By moanagroana (09/02/2004)