European Equivalent of and Stick of Butter

I read US recipes with 1 stick of butter, could anyone tell me what quantity this is, eg. ounces, grams, tablespoon, 1/2 cup? Also whilst here many of the recipes say a cup or so of flour, but do not say plain or self rising. Could someone please explain which is usually used. I am waiting to make many of the recipes and this is holding me up from doing so.

Many thanks in advance to anyone letting me know.

By Lorraine from Perth, Western Australia

Well, when you buy a pound of butter it comes in 4 wrapped sticks so each stick will weight a quarter pound or 4 ounces.

Lorraine,here is a helpful conversion chart I found for you:
http://www.conv … convert/cooking.
I have friends in the UK that I mailed U.S.measuring spoons and cups that turned out to be very helpful to.
Hope this helps.

Here in the UK, I have never found butter to buy in the pound wrapped in 4 sticks, it sounds good. but i have never seen it. yes the measuring cups from keeper were very helpful. If it helps on the flour I seem to see when I read recipes from USA, that it just says flour but read all other ingredients. If there's backing powder or backing soda in there. Then the flour needs to be self raising. Hope this helps a little.

A stick of butter is 8 tablespoons. When an American recipe calls for "flour", it means regular, all-purpose flour. If it needs bread flour, self-rising flour, or other such as whole-wheat (whole meal) flour, it will specify. "Sugar" means plain white, granulated sugar; "Powdered" sugar is the same as confectioner's sugar or XXX sugar, as my nanny used to say. Brown sugar here comes in light and dark versions, the darker has more molasses remaining in it.

Thanks to everyone who has replied with information.

A stick of butter is 4 ounces. This is equal to 1/2 cup. A 1/2 cup is equal to 8 Tablespoons. A 1/2 cup is also equal to 24 teaspoons. About the flour, in most recipes, unless otherwise specified, this means All-Purpose Flour. Usually you can tell if the recipe calls for all-purpose flour by seeing if the recipe also calls for baking soda or baking powder. If it is a recipe that calls for self-rising, you usually don't have to add baking soda or baking powder because self=rising already contains theses ingredients, thus, why it is called Self-Rising. I hope this helps and Happy cooking, enjoy! Sharon Stone Gibson, Costa Rica

1 stick = 8 Tablespoons and 1/2 cup
Unless otherwise specified, use all purpose flour.
Happy Cooking. :-)

If you are going to use self rising flour there is no difference in the measurement. One cup is still one cup.

One stick of butter measures out to 1/2 cup or 4 ounces. Usually flour is referred to as just flour or all purpose flour and it is regular white flour. If a special flour is needed it should be designated as such in the ingredients. (Like cake flour, self rising flour, wheat flour, etc.) If a recipe includes baking powder or baking soda then use plain white flour.

http://www.conv … /convert/cooking

I copied and pasted this as the other web page said it wasn't there anymore and gave another site but I think you can copy and paste this and it will give you what you wish....and maybe more too.

1 stick of butter is 1/2 cup or 100ML. As for flour I generally us all purpose unless the recipe calls for self-rising.

I'd love to help! A stick of butter is four ounces. As for the flour, if it doesn't specify self-rising, it isn't. Happy baking!