Keeping Rescued Baby Birds Warm

We live in a rural area with lots of trees, and occasionally have had to rescue baby birds who have been hurt by a cat or simply got blown out of a tree with their nest destroyed or unable to be found.

I was trying to think of a good way to keep them warm one day when I remembered the old baby wipe warmer I'd kept, just in case. The quilted cover surrounds an old baby wipe box that of course has a lid that opens up. The quilted cover is then plugged in.

The wipe box is the perfect size to hold one baby bird (or even more) after I line it with some warm cotton and maybe some grass clippings for natural measure.

I keep the box open, and the bird stays warm at night when I can't keep it warm enough with body heat.

I also use an old dropper from an infant bottle of Tylenol to feed the babies with, and it works great.

We don't have an animal rescue here in the middle of nowhere, so we had to come up with a way to try to save our feathered friends on our own.

If we see them blown out of their nests, of course we stick them back into it. But if they're hurt or something, the baby wipe warmer helps a lot, it also helps for stray eggs my son finds on occasion, to keep them warm and hopefully incubate them 'til we can figure out where to put the eggs.

By Joan from Middle of Nowhere, CA

This has been the most helpful site I have found.

http://www.starlingtalk.com/

It goes over every aspect of bird care. It applies to all birds not just starlings. You can also look up on the internet about different types of birds and their needs. Most birds hurt by any cat will not make it due to the toxic reaction a bird gets from cat interactions. Most birds that are just shocked will do well with care.

Good tips on keeping them warm. Thanks for sharing! Racer

Home and Garden Gardening Birds & Bird HousesApril 9, 2009
Decorations and food on a table at a baby shower.
Baby Shower Ideas
A dog awaiting adoption.
Adopting a Rescued Pet
Pit Bull
Training a Rescued Pit Bull
People attending a baby shower.
Saving Money on a Baby Shower
🎉
🎄