14 Bean Stew
This is a hearty from-scratch stew. The perfect way to warm up on a cold fall or winter day. Many stores carry a 14 bean blend in their bulk foods section but you can also create your own using whatever dry beans you have on hand (red beans, lentils, split pea, kidney beans, white beans, lima beans, etc.)
Total Time: 1 Hour 15 Minutes
- 4 cups mixed beans
- 1 1/2 cup ham (either leftover ham on the bone or packaged ham
- 7 carrots, diced (or equivalent if using baby carrots)
- 8 celery stalks, diced
- 1 onion , diced
- 2 bay leaves
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Rinse beans and soak overnight. If you do not wish to soak the beans (or forgot), you can place them in a pan with 20 cups of water, bring to a boil, and then boil an additional 2-3 minutes before rinsing.
- When you are ready to start dinner, drain and rinse beans. They will have doubled in size.
- Combine with other ingredients and add enough water to to cover and simmer 1 hour.
- Remove ham from bone, if needed, and serve.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!