Acknowledging the Anniversary of A Loved One's Passing

Category Friendship
The first year without a loved one can be very difficult, and showing the survivors you are thinking of them can give some comfort. This guide is about acknowledging the anniversary of a loved one's passing.

It seems like I've attended a few too many funerals lately and by that I mean too many people I know have passed away. After all is said and done and the loved one is buried, the relatives are still left hurting.

So they don't think their loved one has been forgotten, I mark my calendar to send a "thinking of you" card at the one year anniversary of their loved one's passing. It lets them know that their loved one hasn't been forgotten and neither have they. That first year can be the most difficult with the first holidays without their loved one, first birthday, first anniversary.

I'm a widow, so I know what it's like to have the first anniversary of a loved ones passing. You feel so alone. At least a card can perhaps send a little thoughtfulness and cheer on an other wise difficult day.

By Kathy from Sylvania, OH

What a great gesture. Thanks for sharing.
Keeper

Yes, just a few words to let them know they are not forgotten is a wonderful gesture to take. A "Thinking of You" card is perfect.

I think that is one of the nicest things I have read in too long. That card or those cards might be the only acknowledgement that anyone remembers. How very thoughtful. I am going to keep your idea and do just that. Thanks, PBP

Kathy that is such a good idea. If I know someone well, I usually try to call
around the anniversary of the death. A card would be so nice. Being a widow for 14 months now I certainly have appreciated the thoughtfulness of others.