Activities for People at a Rehabilitation Facility

This guide is about activities for people at a rehabilitation facility. Finding engaging things for people to do as they recover from an illness or injury can be a challenge.

I am a activity director for a rehabilitation facility, so they pretty much come here to get better and then go home. I have a hard time getting residents into activities. The only thing some residents enjoy doing is just bingo and exercise.

We have have tried so many activities like a garden, arts and crafts, bowling, cooking class, we have a party once a week, and we even have a Wii, and they just don't feel like attending. I need a way to get their attention. I need new ideas! Anything would help. Thank you very much.

By dee from Lodi, CA

Answers

Best Answer

I am an activity director also from IN. I have had cases like this, try a scavenger hunt, or I got some disposable camera's and gave it to a lot of my residents to take pics. and they did their own scrap book. I hope that helps some.

Anita

Best Answer

Perhaps I misunderstand the meaning of "rehabilitation", but I thought a center for "Rehab" was exactly that. To me, rehabilitation is the act of getting over or past a severe illness or injury, including surgery of some type.

I really don't think these people care to do much of anything as a "group", but I liked the idea that Anita suggested. Give each "patient" a fully loaded disposable camera and let them take pictures. If possible, have them processed so that they can either be posted on a bulletin board at a central ocation at the center, or taken home for sharing.

Card games come to mind if they are so inclined, or maybe Checkers or Dominoes. How about Jigsaw puzzles which can be set up and left on a card table until they're finished. Anyone who feels up to working on it can do so whenever they feel like it.

Sometimes folks don't feel well enough to commit to anything which requires a schedule or commitment for any length of time at all. They'd prefer to just come and go as they please. I know I would.

I once was activities director for a Neighborly Center, and most of our people were elderly. They were into crochet and knitting, embroidering, some arts and crafts, but not much else.

Wishing you the best of luck.

Pookarina

How about a potluck party? They could cook some of the items for the party. Can someone else bring refreshments, plates, etc.? If they are not physically disabled, maybe a game of Twister would be fun?

Oh dear! PooKaRina, you're right again! We don't all want to be jollied along. I'd hate it.
Marg from England.