Adding Color To White Paint?

Category Painting
It's easy to add a bit of color to any white paint to make it another shade. An easy way is to get a small amount of brightly colored paint in the proper tint.

What can you add to white ceiling, flat latex paint to make whiter or brighter? Do they sell tubes of titanium white that will work with latex base paints?

By Ronald Coffey from New York City

Answers

Best Answer

I don't believe there is anything you can add. If you want "brighter" as in shinier, you need to get a semi-gloss or gloss to begin with, which is not what most people want on their ceiling. If you want "whiter" paint, then you buy the whitest color that you can get. Most white paints for houses are slightly off white, grey or beige or even blue or pink. But you can get absolutely white if you want it. You cannot, however, take a tinted paint, and make it whiter.

Anonymous
Best Answer

A few drops of gray about four drops per gallon will make white paint whiter

Best Answer

You can add a little bit of light blue to medium shade of blue, any darker might change the color. Remember to add a little at a time

Anonymous
Best Answer

Buy some rutile titanium dioxide online and mix 3 parts water to 1 part titanium and blend to a dispersion now add to a couple of liters of your white paint and stir well.

Your paint will now be whiter.

Does anyone have a suggestion of what I can add to a white can of paint to add color to it. Preferably something from around the house? Any color but white, I would prefer yellow or blue.

Thanks a bunch,
Karen from Winona, WV

Answers

I came across this same dilemma yesterday! We were painting some furniture for the nursery, and had run out of pink for the trim (the pink had originally been a mistint). Instead of buying more pink paint, we just added a darker shade of pink from a tube of acrylic paint to another can of white mistint - it matches perfectly!

By (Guest Post)

Chili powder will give you a nice yellow-orange color.

By COOKIEPOM (Guest Post)

You might also try Koolaide or food coloring if the paint is water based.

By Pat (Guest Post)

I use water based craft paint to color water based wall paint. On Interior Motives Group, Kurt Cyr, a famous decorator, says he and other decorators do that all the time.

I sometimes create my own color and take a sample to a paint dept. to have it computer color matched.

By Dean (Guest Post)

You can add any paint with color to white to tint it to another color.Be sure to stay with latex paint if your white is latex and oil paint if your white paint is oil based.When you buy paint at say a Sherman Williams paint store and you want a peculiar color they do the same thing.The base color is white and they add different tints to the white to get the color you want.The problem with doing tinting yourself is you won't be able to match the color again if you need to touch up or run out of paint brfore you finish your paint job.Maybe the a paint store will do it for you and give you the fomula if you need it again.

I've used acrylics to tint water-based paint too. I've used those small bottles of paint for models to tint oil-based paint.

If I add some brown paint to white paint will I have a nice antique white for my farmhouse projects?

Thanks.

Answers

Best Answer

Normally to make antique white paint out of just white paint you will add a tint of black to the paint to make it a greyish antique color but if you want a creamy antique white color you would add yellow to the paint. If you want the brownish color you can add a few drops of brown to the paint or some stain. I would work with the stain if you have it but if you don't the brown should work well for you. Just start off with a few drops at a time and mix well until you reach the color you want.

Best Answer

I actually think if you used chalk paint, it would give it a vintage or antique look. Here is a recipe for homemade chalk paint: 1 cup white latex paint, 1 1/2 Tablespoons water and 2 1/2 Tablespoons Plaster of Paris.

If you don't have Plaster of Paris, try this recipe: 1 cup latex paint, 3 Tablespoons cool water, and l/2 c baking soda.

Home and Garden Home Improvement PaintingJuly 8, 2020
📓
🐛
😷
🌻
😎
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Adding-Color-To-White-Paint-1.html