Adding Points of Interest to Lawns

Category Landscaping
While a well manicured lawn can be beautiful in its own right, sometimes the addition of points of interest, such as mass plantings, make for an even more striking landscape. This is a guide about adding points of interest to lawns.

I have a half acre field adjoining my home lot. Except for grass cover, it's pretty bleak. There is one lone pecan tree right in the middle.

I decided to add a point of interest to the tree. I sank a large pot of green and white hosta at its base and added a circle of white impatiens around that pot.

I like the results. The plants will continue to grow and be even more showy as the season continues. Later, I hope to replace the rather dull rocks with some more colorful 'rocks' I plan to make using a hypertufa mix.

1. Photo Description
  2. Ad

3. Photo Location My lawn in North Carolina
  4. Source (If Applicable)

I have a small hill on my property where it meets a busy street. I decided to give the motorists and pedestrians something pleasant to look at as they passed by.

I took a piece of scrap, green fiberglass lawn edging, which was about seven feet long, and formed it into a circle, overlapping the ends about six inches. With hammer and nail, I punched four holes into the overlapped ends and secured them together with strong wire (screws would do).

I cut two layers of landscape material a little larger than my fiberglass circle and placed the double layer on the hill. I centered the fiberglass circle on the material and filled it with my homemade potting soil.

Next, I planted some Vinca seedlings which I had started from kept seed. Lots of watering and three weeks later, Voilà! Another rather nice and very free little flower bed.