AdviceGardening

Another Plant Growing Up Through a Hydrangea

I have an older hydrangea bush. It was my mom's. The last few years I have noticed another plant growing up through it. The stem of that plant is getting bigger. It kind of reminds you of a small tree. How can I kill the plant and not hurt the hydrangea?

By Nancy F.

Just reach in and pull it out. If it takes a lot of effort, then reach in and cut it down to the ground. Pulling it out by the roots would be the best thing though, so it doesn't send out shoots. Do it soon, before it gets even bigger. The hydrangea should be fine. Plants, like all life, are strong and want to survive.