Ants Climbing Up Posts Into the House

Category Ants

There are a variety of ways to deter ants from entering your home from the foundation posts. This is a guide about ants climbing up posts into the house.

I have a wooden house here in Thailand and it is above the ground on wood posts. The ants climb up the posts and enter the house. I have put ant power around the posts, but when it rains it is all gone and in come the ants. I tried petroleum jelly and when it gets hot, it just kind of melts and runs down the posts. I put powder inside the house where I think they are entering, but they always find a way in. Anything that I can put on the posts that won"t wash away when it rains? Thanks.

By Ben

Answers

Best Answer

I'm not sure how well if will keep up in the rain but I have heard that a chalk line will deter the ants. Draw a chalk line around each post and see if that stops them.

Best Answer

I would put diatomaceous earth around every post, but I'm not sure where you can get that in The Phillipines. I also don't know if rain would wash it away. Worth a shot though.

Best Answer

Because anything applied outside will melt or wash away I suggest a line of ordinary table salt along the edges of the floor inside. Put it all around the outer edge of the rooms where they will have to cross it to come into the rooms.

Best Answer

I am wondering if you could do something like coat the sticky side of wide tape, like duct tape, or any really tough sticky tape, with the ant powder that you have found effective, and then staple or tack the tape to top of the posts. At the top, it would be less likely to wash away quickly and because it is stuck to the tape, it might last longer.

You would have to make sure that the ants couldn't get under the tape. However, maybe the stuff stuck on the tape would not then stick to the ants??? Many substances, like diatomacious earth, need to stick to the ants to deter and kill them. But it might be worth a try. Let us know when you find something that works.

Anonymous
Best Answer

Put rope and comet sink cleanser around each post.