Autographs on T-shirt Faded?

I accidentally washed a T shirt that had been autographed with Sharpie and now the autographs are barely visible. Any suggestions on how to make them more visible so I can embroider the autographs on?

Best Answer

Since you are going to embroider over the autograph why not purchase a pen that has washable ink and go over the autographs as closely as possible so you can see the lines to embroider.
This type of pen can be purchased at craft stores and probably could find one at Target, Walmart, or online but be sure to get a fine to medium tip so the lines will be narrow.

Best Answer

You can hold the shirt up to the window on a bright day so you can best see what is left of the signatures to trace. I used to use this method quite often to make "transfers". It should work for you as well.

If you have tailor chalk you can use that to trace the names and then do the embroidery and it will wash right off.

If you don't have tailor chalk, there are special pens you can buy like this one called Temporary Fabric Markers. You can use that and then embroider over and it will wash out the ink when you are done and wash it. The pens may give more control than the chalk.

www.markersupply.com/tefama.html

Since this is something that is going to be washed, I strongly suggest washing you thread first so it doesn't bleed or shrink (that is provided the floss you are using is not preshrunk and has a promise of being bleed free.

Thank you! I hadn't thought about the window thing--good idea. The autographs are not from celebrities; just friends whose words I want to see.

I also hadn't thought about washing the embroidery floss; thanks for keeping me from making that mistake. I was planning to use tailor chalk, but I will check out the temp fabric markers.

Post back with a photo of the finished product!! Enjoy!!

If these are autographs of famous people, I would leave them alone. If you temper with them you may ruin their value.

If this is what you want to do I would take the shirt with me to a craft store and see if they can help you trace the lines or suggest a good pen for you to use. Just keep in mind once you do this the value of the item will never be the same.

I would go to the craft store to find a good permanent marker designed for fabric to trace over to embroider after.

Trace over them gently while using a light box or tape it up to a window securely. What a cute idea :) HOpe it turns out nice.

How to*November 2, 2019
💘
🍀
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Autographs-on-T-shirt-Faded.html