AdviceParties

Ballroom Dancing Etiquette

I am attending a Victorian Ballroom dance. I want to know how a lady would properly reply to a gentleman when asked to dance.
All I can find is how to refuse the gentleman, but I want to know how to politely accept his invitation to dance.

Any advice?

By Anastasia F.

Anonymous

From what I've seen many, many times is the woman extends her right hand out towards the man and then the man takes your hand and leads you to the dance floor. Can't remember if your hand should be palm side up or palm side down though.

To accept an invitation, you give a small smile, a slight nod and then hold out your hand, to be led out onto the dance floor.

Or if he is requesting a dance for later in the evening, you should have a dance card that you would hand him, so he could write down his name. Then, later when he comes to claim his dance, you do the same as above - smile, nod and hold out your hand.

Hope this helps. :)