How to Make a Mirrored Ball for Cats

Category Cat Toys
This is a guide about how to make a mirror ball for cats. When you hang this mirrored ball up in the sunlight, the floor will be dancing with specks of light for your cat to chase.

I made this mirror ball for my daughter's two cats. I have never done this before so I will tell you right now I made a lot of mistakes. You will be advised on how to do it properly.

Total Time: 1 Hour

Yield: 1

• 1 rubber ball ($1.00)
  • 50 mirror pieces ($1.00)
  • hot glue gun
  • darning needle
  • 6 yd crochet thread ($.10)
  • pliers
  • spice jar lid

1. The first thing I realized was the ball was heavy. I will get a hollow wiffle or foam ball next time. I used the pliers to insert the darning needle in for a hanger.
  2. I began to glue the mirror pieces on and found you couldn't get them very close. With another ball and smaller pieces you can. Besides, cats aren't that picky.
  3. I found a spice lid to set the ball in for ease of working. Then I finished the mirror pieces.
  4. I threaded 6 yards of thread through the darning needle and tied a double knot at the end, touching some hot glue on it. With some knots in the thread so it won't twist, it's ready to hang up.
  5. Now I will tell you what not to do.
  6. Ad

7. Don't get rubber, it's too heavy. If you find a wiffle ball it has holes you can easily hang them from. If you use a foam one, just use a large darning needle and thread it through the middle and tie a knot or glue it at the bottom. Use E-6000 or another glue that will hold the mirror pieces on better. One of mine has popped off already. If you can, use smaller pieces of mirror.
  8. And lastly, if you find something that reflects even better, like faux crystals, use that. I hope these tips helped.

I don't know what a wiffle ball is. I'll have to look that up. It stands to reason the glass would stick better to a larger ball because the flat back of the mirrors would make more contact with a larger ball.

If the ball is larger, then you surely would want a lighter material, but I don't know about foam. If you're thinking about styrofoam, I'm not sure it would work with E6000 or similar glue. I believe the glue would melt the foam.

I checked into Aurora Borealis crystals and found them to be too expensive, even for small projects. I'm still looking for alternatives. Right now, I'm using glass drops, a dollar a bag at Dollar Tree. I'm trying to be creative with them, but it ain't easy.

My latest idea which I think is pretty good, is to crack the drops and then apply gold leaf to the back before gluing to a surface. I've started a bowling ball to be used as a combination gazing ball and sun catcher. I want to post a craft of it but I'll have to wait til I'm far enough along to make sure it will look OK.

I'm posting a picture of the drops, before and after cracking and adding the gold. They look large in the pic but actually are between the size of a dime and a penny.

By the way, where did you get the tiny mirrors?

It's a plastic ball with large holes in it, to play baseball without the hard ball and bat. Younger kids usually play with them before they are ready for softball or baseball.

Thanks Jess!
And the mirrors are available here.

www.amazon.com/.../ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias...

I found a hollow rubber ball at the DT but trying to use a straight needle to hang it with, proved to just break up the little rubber connections. See the photo and you will know what I mean.

So, I just ordered a 4" ball from amazon and they will love it. It's humbling to find you have a great idea but it turns out not to work or too much work.