Belt with Braided Bark
Silver Answer Medal for All Time! 440 Answers
Original accessories will stand you out from the crowd. I figured out how to make this original belt decorated with braided bark. It is very easy to make, especially if you know how to braid 3 strands.
Total Time: 1 Hour + time for bark and varnish to dry
- Fresh (not dry) branch, I used walnut
- buckle 0.9 inches wide, I used a heel bar buckle
- bag belt tape 0.7-0.8 inches wide
- matches or lighter
- sewing tape
- the threads are the same color as the bag belt tape
- varnish for wood
- hot glue
- The bark of the fresh cut walnut peels off very easily. Using a knife cut the bark along the branch and peel off the bark.
- Cut the bark into three strips (strands) 0.4'' wide. To make it easier to braid, it is better to leave the strands connected at one end.
- Start braiding 3 strands of bark: left hand to the middle, right hand to the middle and repeat it. You need to braid a cord from the bark with a length equal to the waist girth + 2-3 inches. When a bark strand is finished, cut it so that the end is under the other stand in the braided cord. Place the beginning of another strip under the end of the previous strand and continue to braid gently.
- Leave the braided bark cord to dry well. This will create a braided cord that is about 0.5-0.6 inches wide.
- Cover the surface of the bark with varnish.
- Measure and cut the bag belt tape: the length equal to your waist girth + 5-7 inches.
- Measure the location of the prong of buckle at the end of the bag belt tape. Heat the awl over the candle flame and make a hole for the prong. Stick the prong through the hole and loop the bag belt tape around the bar so the short end of the belt is on the underside. Sew on the end of the bag belt tape onto itself to secure the buckle.
- Use a heated awl to make holes for the prong at the opposite end of the bag belt tape. First make a hole at the average attachment point, and 2-3 holes in both directions with hole spacing 0.9 inches.
- Round off the end of the bag belt tape and singe the edges with a candle flame.
- Trim the end of the bark cord. Glue the bark cord into the middle of the bag belt tape using hot glue. Start at the buckle side and glue gradually. Cut off the end of the bark cord when you get to the first hole. Wait until the glue hardens well.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2022 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.