BankingBudget & Finance

Beware Pre-authorization When Using Debit Cards

Vote for this contest contender!

When using your debit card, you have to be careful and ensure you have sufficient funds in your account because some places/retailers may add a pre-authorization charge that will take a couple days to fall off. If you don't have sufficient funds you could be charged with an overdraft.

For example - I pumped gas with my debit card for $50 something dollars and when I got home, I saw a pending pre-authorization charge of $100. I was so shocked, I contacted my debit card and was told, it will come off in a few days from the gas station to prevent a pre-authoriziation charge, next time to press CREDIT at the pump, instead of debit.

Also, today I went online shopping with my debit card and the retailer placed a pre-authorization charge of $20 in addition to my transaction amount. the pre-authorization charge will fall off in 3-5 business days. When possible, I'd recommend using a credit card.