Black Eyed Peas with Ham
Gold Post Medal for All Time! 899 Posts
September 2, 2016
My mom's dad made black eyed peas when she was a child, and she recently taught my daughter how to make this dish for a school project. It is a family tradition to make black eyed peas on New Years for good luck.
- 3 cups ham, diced
- 1 lb dried black eyed peas, rinsed
- 1 medium onion
- 1/4 cup crumbled bacon
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp oregano
- salt, to taste
- Dice up ham and set aside.
- Rinse and drain the back eyed peas.
- Cook and crumble up bacon.
- Dice onion and mince garlic.
- Heat oil in a large pot, then add onion and garlic. Sauté until translucent and tender.
- Add ham and bacon. Brown ham slightly.
- Add oregano and stir to combine.
- Add black eyed peas and 4 cups of water.
- Increase heat to HIGH and bring to a boil. Then reduce heat to MED-HIGH. Cover and cook for 20-30 minutes or until beans are soft. Stir occasionally. Note: Add more water to keep beans covered, if necessary.
- Serve with rice and enjoy!
CommentsRead More Comments
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2022 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.