Black Eyed Peas with Ham
In parts of the southern United States, black eyed peas and ham or other cut of pork are included in the traditional New Year's meal. This is a page about black eyed peas with ham
Share on ThriftyFunThis page contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
My mom's dad made black eyed peas when she was a child, and she recently taught my daughter how to make this dish for a school project. It is a family tradition to make black eyed peas on New Years for good luck.
- 3 cups ham, diced
- 1 lb dried black eyed peas, rinsed
- 1 medium onion
- 1/4 cup crumbled bacon
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp oregano
- salt, to taste
- Dice up ham and set aside.
- Rinse and drain the back eyed peas.
- Cook and crumble up bacon.
- Dice onion and mince garlic.
- Heat oil in a large pot, then add onion and garlic. Sauté until translucent and tender.
- Add ham and bacon. Brown ham slightly.
- Add oregano and stir to combine.
- Add black eyed peas and 4 cups of water.
- Increase heat to HIGH and bring to a boil. Then reduce heat to MED-HIGH. Cover and cook for 20-30 minutes or until beans are soft. Stir occasionally. Note: Add more water to keep beans covered, if necessary.
- Serve with rice and enjoy!
CommentsRead More Comments
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2020 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.