Bleaching Colored Clothing White

This is probably a stupid question, but I have a pink shirt that I would like to make white. How could I safely bleach it so the color would be even and white without making the fabric fall apart or become yellowish? The last time I tried to make colored clothes white the fabric fell apart. How can I safely bleach this shirt to make it white?

Anonymous

Answers:

Bleaching Colored Clothing White

Try Ritz Color Remover. It's usually with the Ritz dye for fabrics in the supermarkets or try Wal-mart. I don't know if it will work, read the directions for information or call them. There is usually a phone number on the box or bottle. (04/12/2005)

Bleaching Colored Clothing White

I used the color remover on a pink article of clothing, but it did nothing. I'm still trying. (08/16/2005)

By Belinda

Bleaching Colored Clothing White

Some color is impossible to remove. I once had a dress that was hot pink and I didn't want that color. I tried to dye it dark green. The lace on the dress took the dye, but the dress did not so I got some color remover. It took the dye out of the lace, but not the dress. I think it was a type of polyester and there was just no way to change the color. This may be the problem you are having. Synthetic fabrics take dye and bleaching differently than cotton.

Susan from ThriftyFun (08/16/2005)

By ThriftyFun

My son had a pair of black shorts that somehow got discolored on the front legs, almost as if it were left out in the sun. So he asked if I could make them white. I just bleached them in a bucket w/ 1 part bleach and 4 parts water(hot). Left them in for 20 mins. All it did was make the shorts a chestnut brown color and they were 100% cotton. Unfortunately he doesn't like brown and never wears it. So I am going to try the Rit color remover and see if that will work. Wish me luck! :)