Bleaching Colored Clothing

Trying to bleach the color out of clothing can have mixed results. This is a guide about bleaching colored clothing.

Trying to remove all of the color from clothing can have mixed results. This is a guide about bleaching colored clothing white.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

I want to bleach my black dress white. But it is satin and lace. Do you think bleach would work on those materials. How do I even begin with how to bleach it, in the washer. in the tub (someone said) and what kind of bleach? I don't even mind if the dress went grey. Just not sure of where to begin. Any help would be much appreciated.

Mercedes from SF, CA

Answers

I've experimented over the years, doing things like this and my experience is screaming "Don't even try this"!!!!! You are NOT going to get the end result you want..........PLUS you're going to totally ruin (what sounds to me is) a perfectly good dress. This is just my opinion, but I can tell you that doing something like that is NEVER as easy as you assume it will be and the end result will be a total trainwreck!

I agree with Grandma Margie and if you try to bleach the dress you will not be happy with the results. It will probably turn out to be a "dirty gray" color when you are finished, or worse, come out looking like a bad tie-dye attempt. If you still are determined to try this, I would call a dry-cleaner and ask them if they have experience in this, or try calling a bridal shop and see if they know of anyone that they could recommend to you.

I'm not really for sure, but if it were mine I'd leave
leave the dress as it is.
You might be disapointed in your end result. It seems that (BLEACHING SATIN) would distroy THE SATIN Fabric. I could eat holes in it.
Hope this helps, Sherry.

I honestly don't think it's possible to get good results with such an extreme color change. Just can't go from black to white.

Sorry - you can't do anything with a black dress - unless you want to apply bleach in a tie dye fashion and make a pattern - but doesn't sound like it will go with a satin/lace dress

I have to agree with the other posts.

The type of fabric matters when doing a home dye.

Cotton is usally best. Synthenic fabrics are tricker if not impossible to dye.

Hope this helps.

I dyed a cream colored satin, lace & pearls dress a beautiful burgandy for my sister's wedding and had no problems with holes or anything. The dress was worn by my Granddaughter as the flower girl in my wedding 6 years ago. My sister's wedding was a year after mine. The only thing that didn't actually dye well was the lace part...it was just a bit lighter than the rest of the dress. It was beautiful, though. I used Rit dye on it and what I did was put the dye in the kitchen (stainless steel) sink full of water. I used regular bleach to clean up the sink afterwards.

If I remember correctly, my daughter went from black satin to white one time using Rit color remover on a satin dress...it didn't go white, but rather a really pretty silvery gray.

I say, if you don't like the dress (for whatever reason) and don't care what other color it will go, why not try it?

I agree that this would likely be a disaster. Even Rit Dye remover would not get this black dress to any attractive shade and would probably ruin the fabric. I wouldn't waste the time, money or aggrevation on trying this.

If you want to dye it because it's faded then just redye with black RIT. If you want a white one take it to a seamstress and ask for a duplicate white dress. Try to bleach it and it's toast.

Agree with all the other comments don't bleach a black dress. That's a nightmare waiting to happen. Unless you want to get creative and do a tie dye look but that also sounds like a nightmare.

Ya, probably not a good idea. You could always buy a new one.
http://www.herblackdress.com

I may be late getting to the party, here, but- I've got 3 dresses bleaching in stages as we speak. I've had black t shirts go to a pleasant cream in the past but it depends on the fab, for sure- one of the dresses I'm working on now is black, polyester/rayon, its down to a dense dark grey (think wool slacks) and beautiful but I'm working to get it lighter. That's why I came here. If you fill the tub and add your bleach and be certain to fully submerge and wash about your material, nothing will turn up a 'tie-dyed disaster'. Be brave. Use your head. Do what you do carefully. Good luck.

I have a lace dress. It's black and I would like to dye it red. How do I do it?

Anonymous

bleach can have strange effects on black mostly turning it a dark orange or yellow but if you want to take the risk get a bucket fill it 2 parts water 1 part bleach let the dress soak for about and hour to an hour and 30 min once its done that take it out and soak it in vinegar for a few min to stop the bleaching process then dry it hopefully your dress will be black if not at last your ready for Halloween!?

I don't really think bleaching anything that is lace will bleach I think it only rips not sure but I'm pretty sure for you , you won't get the results you are expecting to get

I recently ordered a top from eBay. The picture indicated it was a pale, dusky pink, but on arriving it's actually a horrendous fluorescent bubblegum pink. I don't really want to try and return it because last time this happened to me I just got brushed off with "the images look different on different screens" so I was wondering if it would be possible to simply bleach it down to a more acceptable colour.

I know the typical method of leaching dye using a chlorine bleach solution and a bleach neutralising agent, but this top is a 95% viscose/rayon, 5% elastane blend and all the research I have found so far has been incredibly contradictory, suggesting variously that the chlorine bleach method will either damage viscose, turn it brown, or be absolutely fine, and suggests no other alternatives. The only thing I have found at all is a blog post where the writer had dyed a viscose-rayon dress to be pastel pink and received chemical bubble-gum instead, but this only results in a responder repeating the chlorine solution method, claiming that they had used it after having the same issue with a cotton blend dress and that "bleach is not such a terrible thing for rayon", but no word on whether the OP tried it and what happened.

Has anybody got any advice on the matter?
(And that's the last time I order anything pink online - it's always pink I have this problem with.)

For Halloween I need a white dress. I have one that's the perfect style, but it's light purple. Is there any way I can make it white? How? Help! Tks

I'm trying to figure out what color(s) of fabric would turn out gray when bleached? I've had some experience, on purpose and on accident with bleaching, but I'm really looking for gray and hoping someone can help!

I have a 100% viscose romper that is an medium olive green color. I am wondering if it is possible to make it white with bleach?

I have a lace dress that also has mesh on it. I wanted to make a cute tulle skirt to go with it for my bachelorette party and then I realized my tulle is a bit whiter than my dress. So I want to make my dress white rather than cream. Any suggestions?

By Megan

Answers

A dry cleaner firm may be able to match your whites, however, may be difficult even then.

My guess is the lace would bleach but the mesh won't, assuming we're talking about two different compositions of fabrics here. Also, bleach is tricky. It can be splotchy when you're done.

My mother's 60 year old wedding gown, that I also wore 25 years later is made of peach satin covered with Nottingham lace. Can I safely get the colour out of the satin? My own daughter wants to use it for her wedding next year, but wants just white.

Is it possible to bleach a pink and orange polyester dress?

I dyed white cotton shirts a pale green. How do I get them back to pure white?

By Sue F.

Answers

What product did you use to dye the shirts?

Bleach them and let it soak in a mixture of bleach and water for 15 minutes. Then Machine wash it

I have an 80% acrylic sweater that is a light yellow color, but I want to make the sweater white. Would using bleach work or is it going to make the sweater worse? Because I'm afraid it may have patches of different shadings, ruining the sweater.

I recently got this cosplay item, where the outside is black and the inside is grey. The grey part was supposed to be white. The material is like a thin windbreaker. Is there any way to at least lighten the inside layer so that it appears either a lighter grey or white?

I have a sweet blue shirt that I want to change its colour to white. The question is how.

By bleach guy

Answers

Why not just look for another one in white? Then you will have two. You can use RIT dye remover with uncertain results, and maybe a smell you can't completely remove.

Or you can bleach, which may not work if material is synthetic, and may weaken fiber if it's cotton. Never use bleach on a natural fiber like silk or wool. It will dissolve/destroy it.

Leave the poor shirt in peace and go shopping.

I have a white Adidas t-shirt, but the t shirt has a black Adidas logo. Can I bleach it? Or just say it's white and I have a colored logo that is blue or any color can I bleach it?

By Sarah

I have a 100% acrylic hat and I would prefer it to be light pink. How can I evenly dye the fabric? With what type of bleach?

By Laura H.

I found a gorgeous dress at a vintage shop this weekend and I am in total love with it and would love to wear it for my wedding. However, it is a bright coral color and it doesn't exactly look like a wedding dress. Would it be possible to bleach it? I would be fine if it doesn't come out to be white or even cream. I just want the color to be more pastel. The dress is layers of tulle and it has a satin-like fabric lining. I don't want to ruin the dress, but figured it might be worth asking about it to see if anyone has done anything like this in the past with vintage prom dresses from the 50's. Thanks!

By Erin