Making an Off White Wedding Dress Whiter

Trying to whiten an off white or eggshell colored dress can be difficult to impossible. Polyester fabrics are not a good choice for this process. Likewise, even cottons may not result in the desired effect. This is a guide about making an off white wedding dress whiter.

My wedding dress is just a regular dress that was white lace on top of a beige slip, I got the slip changed to white so it would be more bridal. It is attached to the dress. I'd like the lace to be whiter to fit better with the rest of my accessories and the super white slip. Right now it's an awkward egg shell colour. How can I get the lace dress whiter without ruining the attached slip? I have a whitening powder, can I use that?

Answers

Best Answer

I believe you should look at the worse case scenario - what if trying to whiten this dress completely ruins it? What will your options be if you cannot wear this dress?

The dress looks lovely in the photo but of course we cannot really "see" the actual color that you are seeing. Most likely there are at least 2 different materials involved and maybe even 3 so anything you try to do may be a disaster. Most likely at least one of the materials is polyester (slip?) and since this is attached you will have to use something that would not change this white to ??? as polyester is very unpredictable.
Maybe the color looks "bad" to you but it may look lovely to others (unless you tell them you think it looks bad).
If you feel the color of this dress will ruin your memories of this special day then by all means try whitening and hope for the best. Then, if it does not work go out and buy a similar white dress.
Best wishes for a happy special day.

You can try the whitener but only if the dress is 100% cotton. Usually if they have any polyester in them it will yellow.

Bleach would most likely ruin it. Just my opinion, I kind of like the ecru color=it is sort of old fashioned and vintage looking. The dress is very pretty.

Such a cute dress! What is it made of? If theres any silk involved, leave it alone. If its a poly blend, you can probably use a stripping agent. But its an important dress, I would consult a dry cleaner or a seamstress.

Your dress is beautiful! I honestly wouldn't mess with trying because I would not want to ruin the dress. Could you call the place where you purchased your dress from and ask if they have a whiter shade?