Blossoms Falling Off Tomato Plants

I have purchased three tomato plants. They have grown in the past 3 weeks and gotten several yellow blooms on them, but then they fall off. I have grown tomatoes before and this has not happened. What is the problem?

By Gary Swafford from Orlando, FL

Best Answer

Is it over 90 degrees there? Toms usually won't set above 90. Also, it's possible that the flowers aren't pollinated, try shaking your plants a few times a day in still weather.
Toms are self pollinating and it sometimes takes a little shake to spread the pollen, especially if there aren't any insects available where your plants are.
Also, you can try adding 3 tablespoons of epsom salts to a gallon of warm water and water the plants well; this can be added to any type of fertilizer you use.
Don't use the epsom salts more than once every 2 to 3 months unless you notice the leaves turning yellow. This is also good for all flower and veggie plants.

You might also look for almost invisible teeny tiny red spiders. They cut the blooms off tomatoes.

I had the same thing happen about two summers ago. My hairdresser said her father adds calcium to the plant's base once every couple of weeks & he uses milk!

I tried it and it did work! Epsom salts sounds good, too. Good luck!

add a tums to the soil, it is calcium, i am serious. Suggested to me as a cheap way, but can buy Stop Rot at lowes or home depot, which causes rot at the end of the tomato. Save your egg shells and add it to soil to improve it for next year.

Are you kidding? First comes the flower then comes the fruit! Look to see if there are tiny tomato's hidden in the leaves.

Home and Garden Gardening VegetablesJune 25, 2010
🍀
💘