Growing Butterfly Weed (Asclepias Tuberose)

Category Flowers
bright orange butterfly weed flowers
A brightly colored perennial known to attract butterflies to your garden. This is a guide about butterfly weed.

How do you transplant a butterfly weed plant? I would like to transplant one that is overgrown to a new area. Is it possible? These are plants that have orange flowers in the summer.

By Linda from Brighton, MI

There are new shoots that come up each spring; transplant those to a new area keeping enough soil around the root system so it takes off well. I attempted to transplant a large overgrown butterfly bush and it died...ended up getting another plant. The root system of older bush is deep and spreading; it wasn't easy for me to remove and lots of roots broke free from the plant. If you decide to try removing the older bush, make sure you have lots of dirt surrounding the roots when lifted from its original location.

If you are talking about butterfly weed and not butterfly bushes then this plant produces a very deep taproot making transplanting difficult once established. Try some cuttings that should do it. Good luck:)

How do you start cuttings from the plant and what time of year?

Linda Zone 5-a

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

One of the Path Garden friends came to help do some much needed garden clean up. After 4 hours of working hard, we sat and had tea in the garden.

Chatting about how I had been wanting to bring butterflies back to the garden along with more birds, I told her how DD had given us 2 sets of butterflies to raise and set free in the garden. I told her I had butterfly bushes, but had never seen a Butterfly Weed plant. And that was the next goal, to find one. Well, a few days later, she left this one at the gate for me.

How Blessed I am.

By Great Granny Vi from Moorpark, CA

Butterfly Weed in Garden

Comment Like this photo? 4