Buying Raw Peanuts

Raw Peanuts
Raw peanuts can be used to roast or add flavor to many different types of dishes. Sometimes it can be difficult to find a source for buying them. This is a guide about buying raw peanuts.

Does anyone know where I might find raw peanuts? My husband lived in Georgia for a short while and he raves about their boiled peanuts.

By Marilyn D.

Best Answer

I live in the South and we call them green peanuts instead of raw. Most of our grocery stores carry them and you can buy them by the pound and cook them yourself. Peanuts boiled at home are much much better than the canned ones. They are boiled in salt water - you judge how much salt you can handle. Since your hubby lived in Georgia for a while, I'll bet he knows how to cook them. Enjoy!

If you go to google.com and type in "buying boiled peanuts" a lot of sites come up where you can buy them. Looking at some of the sites they can come packed in cans or bags of boiled peanuts.

I do not know where you are now, but our super Walmart sells them (just look closely at the packaging). I am in NC, and there is a town near me that sells them as well as homemade peanut butter, brittle, etc. (Houston's Peanuts).

Being from the Northwest, I first thought that eating boiled peanuts was, well, a bit odd. However, when done right (and eaten hot), they are great. I do not have the bravery to eat them cajun, but regular style is not so bad.

Most grocery stores carry boiled peanuts, look for them in the canned goods aisles. You may have to ask where the store keeps them, but most store chains across the US do carry them. Erm, word of warning, boiled peanuts are the textbook example of 'an acquired taste'. Trust me, I lived in the US Deep South for over 20 years and never acquired the taste, but those who love the treat swear it's the best ever.